Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: my minimal emergency kit

Quote Originally Posted by Sapper View Post
    Been recued by my peers...quite an embarrassment....especially having 6 teams claim it as theirs
    It sure would...But your "red Face" would aid your rescue.lol.
    You are never too old to learn!. A SURVIVER!

"Peasants Rule,and your Knife is your Tool."
    "A Knifeless man is a Lifeless man".Nordic Proverb.

Support The GURKA WELFARE TRUST.1815 to 2015 200 years of Service to the Crown

They knew where to find me..it happened right in front of them during training...
    [

Trapper
    If I'm forced to live off the land then I'll choose the bit of land with a supermarket on it.
    Actually I would worry if I had to live off my own body fat. There's so much of it these days I'd probably put weight on.
    Infamy infamy, they've all got it in for me.

Alone in the Wilderness
    Those are basically what you need to survive. The rest, you just have to improvise if the need arises.

What about peices off cloth or bandage.

-ties for constructing shelter walls or stretchers etc
    -first aid bandage
    -separations between layers of a water filter

I suppose you can do this with a piece of your tee-shirt ?
    English isn't my mother tongue so pliz correct me if i'm wrong, thx !

Ha- bear grylls style

No, Bear Grylls use is underwear
    English isn't my mother tongue so pliz correct me if i'm wrong, thx !

Natural Born Bushcrafter saxonaxe's Avatar
    This isn't really about survival, although I suppose it could be as the root cause of some survival situations is poor navigation.
    Early December I was at my mate's house, his 12 year old Grandaughter was there too, I've mentioned her before in posts as she is a budding outdoors life/Bushcrafter fan. She asked about walking on a compass bearing and as there was a small scale map available and she had a Silva compass I'd bought her as a present some time before, I explained the drill to her.

Confession time!! She picked two points laid the compass base plate between them, lined the grid lines up and then I realised what she had done...and I had missed it.. Between point A and point B there was the tip of a spur shown by the contour lines to be higher than both A and B !!! Ok small scale map, feint contours, not paying attention blah blah.. excuses..excuses. Fact is, she wouldn't have been able to see point B from A, the spur would have blocked the view and I should have explained that to her, Ok I know it was only a paper exercise but it made me realise I was rusty. Once I would have seen that without even trying, I used to teach cross country navigation skills to recruits and other course attendees.

Like almost all skills, if they're not used often or at least practised they first get rusty and then they get lost. Where I live, my wandering ground is the Sussex South Downs and surrounding area. The Downs run predominently East West, to the South is the sea while to the North are the flat farmlands known as the Sussex Weald, with that knowledge it really isn't possible to get lost. Stand on the high Downs, just look around and you can manage without a compass even..Just follow the spine of the Downs and you're headed East or West...

So, as a cure I'm off down West for a self imposed winter navigation exercise..a good excuse to go camping on the Moors for a week or so too.. See you in 2+ weeks..with some photos I hope...Sax

I have a map and compass in my "going-out-for-a-walk" bag, that I never use. But once year at least...I take it out. Figure out where I am by cross bearing, lay out a marching route and see if i end up where I planned too without getting stuck in a bog or falling off a cliff. Also test if I still know how to find my grid reference by simply using my phones GPS to find my grid reference, then finding the same grid on the map. Usually the grid ref and my cross bearings match up, and I am happy as I figure I am not totally lost on the art.

Else it's pretty hard to get really lost on an island :-)

Else have to love the new "plastic" material maps. Don't have to worry about them getting wet, and they do not tear.
    Last edited by FishyFolk; 27-12-2014 at 08:07 PM.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum