Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Oatmeal

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    Oatmeal mixed with chopped nettle, mixed/bound with a beaten egg, shaped into a pancake & fried with a rasher of bacon *smoked/unsmoked. The bacon fat cooks & flavours the oatmeal. Rather filling BTW
    Regards
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David_JAFO View Post
    hello,
    Oatmeal mixed with chopped nettle, mixed/bound with a beaten egg, shaped into a pancake & fried with a rasher of bacon *smoked/unsmoked. The bacon fat cooks & flavours the oatmeal. Rather filling BTW
    Regards
    David
    Utringue Paratus

Northern Soul Bushcraft.......

I like mine with salt. But for energy reasons, when hill walking, I'll have it mixed up ready for cooking with dried milk powder and melt a Snickers into it. To be honest at first it's like wow, this is good. But it gets really sickening after a while.

For multi day trips I use skimmed milk powder in the mix, other than the bag for day 1.

hello,
    Regards
    David
    Oh yeah!!! Sound good. This is what I want to get into. I'd love to leave the house food-less and live like that, but so far my research isn't offering what is needed. I've been reading up on heather, and getting curious about heather flavoured porridge.
    Last edited by Magicdave; 29-01-2015 at 08:11 PM. Reason: typos/wording

Y'all got some tasty stuff for oatmeal. Just had a dish at home this morning a good sized scoop of peanut butter

That one with the egg mixed in and friend in bacon grease sounds heavenly must try this now
    “I'm not one of those complicated, mixed-up cats. I'm not looking for the secret to life.... I just go on from day to day, taking what comes.” ~Frank Sinatra~

" Nessmuk " says:
    " We do not go to the woods to rough it ; we go to
    smooth it — we get it rough enough in town. But
    let us live the simple, natural life in the woods, and

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    A very old recipe that great start to the day with a hot brew
    Regards
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Magicdave View Post
    Oh yeah!!! Sound good. This is what I want to get into. I'd love to leave the house food-less and live like that, but so far my research isn't offering what is needed. I've been reading up on heather, and getting curious about heather flavoured porridge.

The University college I study at serves a perfect bowl of oatmeal every morning...
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

This morning I was reading the email digests of posts and saw this email subject "Oatmeal" and my immediate thought was of "The Oatmeal", an edutainment comic blog-ish thing. There's some insane stuff on there, and then some gems like these:

The water on our planet is very very old
    How little bees take on enormous hornets
    How to use an apostrophe
    How to use a semicolon
    Who versus Whom
    Ten words you need to stop misspelling
    Mantis Shrimp

Oatmeal - enjoyable and good for you!

Please don't let me hijack the thread! Any responses to this should be separate to this food-oriented thread.
    Last edited by Bernie; 30-01-2015 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Realised I might've hijacked the thread. :(

Hobo
    I make a mix of dried full fat milk, dried fruit, nuts and or seeds, spice (cinnamon or nutmeg generally) and half a cup of oats. I then seal this inside a "boil in the bag" bag and when I'm ready I just add hot water and a little honey if I have it - You and the add cool water and boil in the bag or add water the previous evening seal and let the flavours get it on overnight, or simply add the hot water and let it stand till ready. Works well for me and makes a satisfying simple breakfast when I am on earlies too!