Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ashford - Challock - Charing- for Beginner Bushcraft?

Ashford - Challock - Charing- for Beginner Bushcraft?

Hi All,
    This is my first post, so hope its in the correct sub-section.
    I am a newbie to bushcraft and wanting to explore the not so far Kent Downs...Can anyone recommend a safe area with open spaces and plenty woodland for a weekend trial?

I'm thinking of getting the train to Ashford, walking to Challock, possibly diverting off into Kings wood and ending in Charing. I'm not in a mad rush to cover masses of distance, just want to relax and be close to amenities in case of bad weather etc..

I am solo lightweight gal so just taking my 3 season SB, bivy, tarp and self inflating pad. Stove/food, water, compass, knife, headlight etc...Planning to go in next few weeks, temperature is fine for me as long as it doesn't downpour.

Any tips would be appreciated... Gabriella

Welcome to the community Gabriella, I'm sure someone from the area will be along to help soon.

Hello Gabby & welcome.

I used to hail from Kent and my former neighbour has a bit of land near Yalding. We'll let you know when we're there next.

M@
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

Samuel Hearne
    Hi Gabby and welcome,
    You could have a look at inside M25 meet they are a good bunch and its a good way to learn from others, hope this helps.

Kings Wood at Challock is a nice big area of woodland, but it can sometimes be busy (although now the weather is turning the number of casual strollers always go down).
    If I was you I would head to the other side of the A28 - and explore all those woods between Wye and Petham. It's quieter there.
    'What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare' - William Henry Davies

Kestrels:
    https://foraknave.wordpress.com/

Thinking:
    https://thinkingthink.wordpress.com/

Hi Gabby,welcome to the forum,nice to have the femine touch,Hope your trip goes well.you'd be welcome at my anytime.but think its a bit out of your way!
    You are never too old to learn!. A SURVIVER!

"Peasants Rule,and your Knife is your Tool."
    "A Knifeless man is a Lifeless man".Nordic Proverb.

Support The GURKA WELFARE TRUST.1815 to 2015 200 years of Service to the Crown

Quote Originally Posted by Humakt View Post
    Kings Wood at Challock is a nice big area of woodland, but it can sometimes be busy (although now the weather is turning the number of casual strollers always go down).
    Hi Gabby ... Have to agree with with Humakt ... Kings Wood can be very busy ...

lots of regular dog walkers early morning dog walkers at that ...

and they tend to be every season all year round !!!

Last time I visited there were a lot of mountain bikers charging around at night ...

whooping it up with bright headlights and helmet light beams shining everywhere ...

quite spookey when you're trying to be quiet and stealthy !!!

Cheers Whistle
    Life's a beach .... and then the tide comes in ....

Dia duit, Gabby - fáilte go dtí an bpobal Bushcraft
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

Thinking about it Gabby, there's http://badgellswoodcamping.co.uk/ and very near there is Whitehorse woods that I know another forum member has stealth camped in. I appreciate that it's not as far east as Challock but it's certainly a nice part of Blighty.
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

Thank you to everyone for your tips and insight of the areas... I def dont fancy any bright lights, bikes or dogs walkers! I will give Wye and Petham a go then as suggested by Humakt.

Hoping for a semi dry weekend soon before it gets too cold... Thanks Again Gabby