Thread: Bittersweet Basketry and Weaving

Bittersweet Basketry and Weaving

Nothing quite like spending a few hours making baskets...especially when you're getting rid of an invasive plant at the same time . Not a tutorial post, but showing what can be done with something that most people would have no use for.
    http://newenglandbushcraft.wordpress...y-and-weaving/
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

I did quite the same with blueberry stems 2 years ago, during a trip in France's mountain.

Obviously I remove thorns from the stem and twist it around a structure of willow. I may have a picture of it, but I should research it between all pictures I took ...

Well, the main idea is doing with what we have, efficiently, and fast.

Then, at home I made different baskets in taking my time. I used wicker for the first, and clematis for the second.

Wow...never knew you could use blueberry stalks . Unfortunately, all we have in the area are the Lowbush varieties, which never reach more than 38 cm above the ground. We do have a few varieties of willow, but they aren't as plentiful, and the useable bits are often far above the ground. But there are lots of Dogwoods in the swamps, and that will probably be my next project .
    Those baskets look excellent!
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin