Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steel type

Wanderer

Steel type

I have found a piece of steel at work and I'm going to make a couple of blades from it how do I know if it's any good ?????

you are going to have to give some details if we can help!

If it was previously used as a spring or tool, then likely ok; but if it used to be a washing machine or a fence then no chance
    Dave Budd Handmade Tools knives, tools, wood, leather and courses making stuff! 2015 Course List NOW ONLINE!

If it's carbon steel a magnet will stick to it, if not, there's a chance it is stainless steel. If you can do a heat and quench test piece and it gets harder it may be high carbon steel. There's a lot different steels out there so gathering as many clues as possible is required e.g. What metals are used at work ?

Another method you might look up is spark testing. The color and type of spark thrown off when the piece of steel is held to a grinding wheel can help you narrow it down significantly.

Here's a good video I found on You Tube, if you can get past the fact that the kid doing the video sounds like an old 1950's radio announcer (from here in the US, that is...) he does a really good job.

Good luck!

Josh
    "Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time..." ~Steven Wright~

Wanderer
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	12559
    Here's a picture of said steel

that really doesn't help much! All we can say from that is that it is not a stainless steel

context please. What does your work do with these bits of metal and where was it? Is it likely to be an offcut of something?
    Dave Budd Handmade Tools knives, tools, wood, leather and courses making stuff! 2015 Course List NOW ONLINE!

I'd go as far to say it may not be high carbon steel as a lot of HCS plate steel has a ground finish...it may just be a piece of hot rolled mild steel, the black colour and what look like rounded edges are what I'm using as clues to say that.

Wanderer
    Quote Originally Posted by dave budd View Post
    that really doesn't help much! All we can say from that is that it is not a stainless steel

context please. What does your work do with these bits of metal and where was it? Is it likely to be an offcut of something?
    Sorry can only tell you that I am on a job where the old roof got ripped out and it was lying about ...... All I can say is IRS old

If IRS is a reference to steel girders then it is probably Mild Steel, also, if it was part of the roof construction again this points to Mild Steel.

Wanderer
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreward View Post
    If IRS is a reference to steel girders then it is probably Mild Steel, also, if it was part of the roof construction again this points to Mild Steel.
    Just read back what I wrote and I meant to say it is old ......... If it's mild steel is it no good ??