Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Maroond with Ed Stafford.(new series.)

Quote Originally Posted by Humakt View Post
    Really?
    You chaps like this stuff?
    I should say that I'm not into the whole 'survival' thing myself. It's just voyeuristic and titillating TV to me. I don't believe that people 'who do' watch it with any kind of credibility. It's very much like Bear Grylls for me - something for someone to sit on their backside and watch rather than get out and do, and to live off the vicarious experience.
    And more than just a bit narcissistic. I've seen the trailers - him puffing and panting, naked, dirty, sweaty, looking about, wincing in pain, striving, intoning his plight to the camera. Yes, all very vicarious, but really it's just macho-male tabloid TV.
    That's how it's always struck me.
    I even heard him say, in a recent trailer, how he'd been eating spiders and bugs and scorpions, and stuff. I really don't see how it differs from BG to be honest.
    It's just not something I can take seriously. But then, I don't think I'm the target audience. Not really.
    At last!
    Sitting here in South Africa, reading all this I was beginning to wonder if there was anybody sane enough to mention the above.
    Having seen some of the first series and trailers for the latest, I think he is a few cards short of a full pack, sure he has a penchant for wearing grass skirts and is adept at making a few tools to survive, but hold the presses!
    He is only lost/stranded in Thailand because he arranged for it to be so!
    With the deepest of respect Midas, these are not the skills you need for a walk in the Yorkshire moors and I doubt such a fine learned fellow as yourself would be pulling up tussocks of grass to try and fashion a grass skirt any time soon!

If Midas tried that at home he'd be arrested...he lives on the fringes of Leeds !

I suspect he likes marmite too..(I don't..hate the stuff) I can watch Ed, his foray into the Carpathian Mountains/forest last series was quite good, useful and believable. Doesn't mean I'm daft enough to try it...spent far too much time in my own part of Yorkshire/Derbyshire looking for those that did.

As for BG...there's always the off button or retune to strictly
    [

[QUOTE=Sapper;121991]If Midas tried that at home he'd be arrested...he lives on the fringes of Leeds !

Nice one ,Wayne!hahahaha
    I enjoy watching him,rather than the others,Though I used to like watching "Bush Tuckerman,Les Hiddens"
    I've got a lighter,and box of match's,But still have n use a "Tinder Box,complete with flint n steel."is a buzz!
    Think I could handle the skirt,Its the high heels I'd dread.lol
    You are never too old to learn!. A SURVIVER!

"Peasants Rule,and your Knife is your Tool."
    "A Knifeless man is a Lifeless man".Nordic Proverb.

Support The GURKA WELFARE TRUST.1815 to 2015 200 years of Service to the Crown

At the end of the day TV is what it is.......something to put between the adverts. The production companies dictate how and what appears on the box, its all about the ratings. No more, no less. They will even fiddle with the finished article to make it appear more accurate or dramatic...

I have actually had the same thing befall myself - misquoted and even dubbed my dog in the edit..I kid you not.

Better to watch Ed Stafford than the other absolute drivel i have heard about or have had the misfortune to have accidentally turned over to.
    [

Just watched the last episode this morning!(was on last night)Thought it was very good,as it covered all the continents he's "Survived "in.And his top 10 tips for survival!
    He had cloths on n was driving a Landrover too!
    You are never too old to learn!. A SURVIVER!

"Peasants Rule,and your Knife is your Tool."
    "A Knifeless man is a Lifeless man".Nordic Proverb.

Support The GURKA WELFARE TRUST.1815 to 2015 200 years of Service to the Crown

Good show, great entertainment
    Richard
    South Wales UK