Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reccomend me a good strop

Trapper

Reccomend me a good strop

Hi folks I want to strop my knife, any reccomendations for a good strop? the knife I use is a mora companion.

Hi, a shark designs hand strop works well. I tend to use the back of my belt when out and about though. Shark also do a pocket strop. I haven't used one yet but the idea seems good, certainly small enough to throw in your pocket and maintain an edge on your knife.
    I too have a Mora companion, I got it to shaving sharpness after a few passes on an Arkansas stone then a strop on the back of my belt. Worked an absolute treat.

Get an off cut of leather and bond it to a piece of wood. That way you can make it the size you need, cheaply and keeps the leather nice and flat. I use a 50mm wide block for my Mora knives and it works just fine. That size fits nicely in my sharpening stone holder thingy (wine now kicking in )

Wanderer
    Might be a bit of a stupid question but is it only real leather that will sharpen your blade or does faux leather or recycled leather work too.
    only asking cos i got a large roll of leatherette

Technically anything can be used as a strop, but leather is by far the best for general use. People have used paper to stop very fine edges, as well as boards of MDF with stropping compound applied. Using leatherette may work, but the strop wouldn't last as long as a leather one, and it may take more pressure to achieve the same results as leather. It's the mildly abrasive nature of the material that makes the difference in stropping ability (a little like grades of sand paper), and the toughness that governs how long it will last.

Of course I couldn't guarantee how well it would work.
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

There is also a section of people,(RM included) who finish of their knife sharpening!!on the "top rounded edge "of their car door window!
    You are never too old to learn!. A SURVIVER!

"Peasants Rule,and your Knife is your Tool."
    "A Knifeless man is a Lifeless man".Nordic Proverb.

Support The GURKA WELFARE TRUST.1815 to 2015 200 years of Service to the Crown

Wanderer
    Thanks adam I didn't think it would be as good.

It should work to some extent, just not sure how well. It's worth a try if you have the stuff already. If it doesn't work very well for you, the cheapest way to make a strop is to buy a leather bookmark, which can be as little as 50p at a library, or charity shop, then glue it to a piece of wood (free if you ask your local timber merchant nicely enough ).
    Then the next cheapest is the belt option (as mentioned), which you can either use as it is (fasten one end to a door handle and hold the other end), or cut into pieces and glue them to wooden blocks.
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

Wanderer
    Thanks for the advice adam

Trapper
    I use one i bought from Dave Budd of this forum. He sells the stropping compound as well. I can perfect an edge in next to no time. Stan.