Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: End of the world 2012!

End of the world 2012!

Well they made a film about it so it must be true. Anyway if the the world did end next year how do you think it would happen? I like the idea of an evil genius trying to become king of the world but then he (or she) would accidentally lean on the button that activates the doomsday device. Which would be........killer robots, which would kill the genius. Anyway the robots would be angered by people's love for portable electronic gadgets and then realise our weakness. Anyway the robots would then take over apple corp and come up with the latest electronic book-phone-i pod-thingy. Then they would start advertising the gadget (let's call it the i-think) in a series of pretentious adverts, with lots of smiley annoying people dancing around saying stuff like. " i-think therefore I am." Anyway in the end most people buy them in the end and nothing happens for a while. But, when apple corp finally sell the billionth i-think, the robots activate them. You see the I-thinks were little robot minions in disguise as techno rubbish. Anyway they would then kill their human masters and take over the world, but then they'd get depressed and start making techno rubbish again. And then the whole circle would begin again.

And that's my apocalypse 2012. And that was also a good way to kill half an hour.

So how do you think the world would end?

Tribal Elder
    Well the russians are still constructing nuclear bunkers designed to survive direct hits... about 200 of them.... gonna have to assume they have some future strategy based around extended nuclear war.

Other obvious one is getting hit by a large space object which, if the surface blast doesn't kill you then being knocked out of orbit would

Mass sucide from having to watch cr@p tv shows like Britains got talent and X-Factor
    resnikov

"You can do loads in 12 minutes. Suck a mint, buy a sledge, have a fast bath"

My blog & twitter

Quote Originally Posted by resnikov View Post
    Mass sucide from having to watch cr@p tv shows like Britains got talent and X-Factor
    Yes, that sounds the most plausible.

Dalek invasion or Magnetic Shift (due soon)
    Time is precious - waste it wisely

Not going to have to worry about this one either. Even if the world was about to end, it won't effect Ilfracombe because nobody thinks it exists any way!

Loved your scenario metal mug!

Well I suppose that when talking about the end of the world, we're in fact talking about the end of humanity... (or say the end of humans' rule over the world, well the world as we know it )

So here's my D-Day scenario : on March 31st, saturday morning, between 9 and 9:05 am, a Wyoming marmot looks up the sky, and sees kind of a giant saucer penetrate the atmosphere in a violently glowing light. Obviously uncontrolled, and on its way to the crash of the year, the UFO - which is about half the size of the City of London - gets bigger and bigger. You all know marmots : they're very timid animals. Rebecca - that's her name - flees in her hole to save her skin... Alas! I assume you've heard about Yellowstone's supervolcano... Well it's just underneath Becky's hole in the ground. The UFO crashes, thus causing the volcano to erupt. The blowup is so huge that pieces of the space ship are thrown miles away in a canadian nuclear plant. Just as winter was about to come to an end, nuclear winter takes its place.
    What you have to remember is that the flying saucer crashed out of control. There was a good reason to it. Extraterrestrials who were driving it had all passed out from a fatal disease from outer space. Other pieces of the spaceship flew away to Los Angeles where they landed without causing damage. They became the attraction of the morning for tourists who didn't know they were infected. As they learnt about the morning Yellowstone disaster, they flew back home as fast as possible. Within twelve hours, the incurable disease they carried with them contaminated most of the earth's population. Interesting point is the disease only hit primates. Gorillas, chimps and bonobos all disappeared... That's the sad end of the story... But on the other hand, man was gone too, and life on Earth could continue happily and successfully (once the sun had reappeared of course...)

Don't be mad at me : I'm not (blindly) anti-human... Just a story... Hope you liked it

Ben.

FrenchBen has a good point, when we say the end of the world we usually mean the end of mankind. We are terribly egocentric. I loved your story FB , it needs more killer robots though . It also gives me an idea for a thread, "Don't you hate humans?" I know it's a bit two-faced but really it's a place to vent your rage at everyone.
    Last edited by Metal mug; 26-02-2011 at 08:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jus_young View Post
    Not going to have to worry about this one either. Even if the world was about to end, it won't effect Ilfracombe because nobody thinks it exists any way!
    Except in the dark hours when the place is populated by the Undead
    Only my dog can judge me

http://www.devilark.com.au/

Quote Originally Posted by happybonzo View Post
    Except in the dark hours when the place is populated by the Undead
    You know the town so well. I usually board up all the windows, switch off the lights and sit up all night with a shotgun waiting for them to come and get me. My tactics obviously work because none of them have had the guts to try it yet!