Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The risks of fungi foraging

I used to collect mushrooms occasionally. Then I went on a foraging course (no mushrooms) but I got a couple of books on foraging and also some on the various fungi. After reading the books I was no longer sure that I could even identify a mushroom. Needless to say I now get 100 % of my mushrooms from the supermarket. The more I learned the less I knew. Now I just take photographs of them. :
    “For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.”

Trapper
    Quote Originally Posted by BJ View Post
    I used to collect mushrooms occasionally. Then I went on a foraging course (no mushrooms) but I got a couple of books on foraging and also some on the various fungi. After reading the books I was no longer sure that I could even identify a mushroom. Needless to say I now get 100 % of my mushrooms from the supermarket. The more I learned the less I knew. Now I just take photographs of them. :
    Quite a few of my customers, after a three hour session, say they are less confident and they would be less likely, rather than more, to go mushrooming on their own, than they were before. Others say they'd be confident in picking one or two of the things we found - usually the absolutely idiotproof species like hedgehog fungus. There aren't many species in that category. Certainly fewer than ten.

Natural Born Bushcrafter luresalive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sapper View Post
    As an instructor used to say......'Mushrooms have no real calorie content or nutritional benefit - in a survival situation is it worth the risk'
    One of my old instructors said the same thing!!!

Less than 2 grams of protein and only 13 calories per 100 grams (depending on the fungi) not really worth it.

http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk.../mushrooms.htm

I'm sure that comment has done the rounds more than once
    [

Trapper
    Mushrooms have as much nutritional benefit as vegetables. Different mushrooms differ, as do different vegetables.

Natural Born Bushcrafter luresalive's Avatar
    Which mushrooms are worth foraging for then, as in, have the most calorific content?

Quote Originally Posted by luresalive View Post
    Which mushrooms are worth foraging for then, as in, have the most calorific content?
    The ones stuffed with Stilton cheese and then baked in the oven!
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

Or served with chips and a 12 oz steak
    [

*AND* served with chips and a 12 oz steak
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

Quote Originally Posted by Ehecatl View Post
    The ones stuffed with Stilton cheese and then baked in the oven!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sapper View Post
    Or served with chips and a 12 oz steak
    I'll second that.lol
    You are never too old to learn!. A SURVIVER!

"Peasants Rule,and your Knife is your Tool."
    "A Knifeless man is a Lifeless man".Nordic Proverb.

Support The GURKA WELFARE TRUST.1815 to 2015 200 years of Service to the Crown