Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The risks of fungi foraging

Trapper
    Quote Originally Posted by luresalive View Post
    Which mushrooms are worth foraging for then, as in, have the most calorific content?
    I don't have figures, but the idea that they have no nutritional value is fairly obviously a myth. The fruiting bodies of fungi are made of the same sort of stuff that plants and animals are made of. They're made of cells, and those cells are made of the same proteins as animal and plant cells. Some of them are particularly adept at picking up metals and trace elements from the soil, and it is for this reason they've been proposed as a means of cleaning up pollution. From a nutritional point of view this could be either a good thing or bad thing, depending on what's in the soil.

These are the figures for "normal" mushrooms:

http://mushroominfo.com/benefits/

Often grouped with vegetables, mushrooms provide many of the nutritional attributes of produce, as well as attributes more commonly found in meat, beans or grains. Mushrooms are low in calories, fat-free, cholesterol-free, gluten-free, and very low in sodium, yet they provide important nutrients, including selenium, potassium (8%), riboflavin, niacin, vitamin D and more.
    Other species will be different, but it is very hard to see how any mushroom could be nutrition-free unless it was totally indigestible.

Hmmmm. Low calorie, low fat, low fat.....pointless as a survival food...simply not worth the risk....may as well just eat meat or nettles
    [

Trapper
    Quote Originally Posted by Sapper View Post
    Hmmmm. Low calorie, low fat, low fat.....pointless as a survival food...simply not worth the risk....may as well just eat meat or nettles
    One can't survive on calories/fat alone for very long.

Guess even a Big Mac,has lettuce n a piece of gerkin.lol.
    You are never too old to learn!. A SURVIVER!

"Peasants Rule,and your Knife is your Tool."
    "A Knifeless man is a Lifeless man".Nordic Proverb.

Support The GURKA WELFARE TRUST.1815 to 2015 200 years of Service to the Crown

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Dann View Post
    One can't survive on calories/fat alone for very long.
    One can survive without food for three weeks......the idea in a survival situation is not to be stuck out there for that long...
    [

Quote Originally Posted by midas View Post
    Guess even a Big Mac,has lettuce n a piece of gerkin.lol.
    I usually take the gherkin off Mike..although I'm not sure a Mac D could be classified as a useful survival food either
    [

Quote Originally Posted by Sapper View Post
    I usually take the gherkin off Mike..although I'm not sure a Mac D could be classified as a useful survival food either
    I'm not sure Mac D's should be classed as food really..........

Like a lot of old guard who did the training, we are told that the calorific value you collect, should be more than you use .. And Mushrooms are worthless as a food source so far a calorific value is, let alone the ID side, so best left for the squirrels..... At least there's nutrition in a Squirrel !!
    Utringue Paratus

Northern Soul Bushcraft.......