Thread: STOP... Tarp time........

STOP... Tarp time........

Hi All

So I'm in the market for my first tarp. What do you think.........

This: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2010359346...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Or this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2215008606...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

DD tarp mate; you'll use it forever! As you're considering a camo type as well, an issued bivi sheet may be cheaper for your first tarp and obviously good quality for use

Do the 'Issue' tarps come in 3m x x3m ?

Definitely shorter for one man use. If I remember correctly about 2.5 x 1.7 metre dimensions and about £20 for price but may be cheaper if you ask on the forum?

A bit pricier, but I can recommend True North tarps, I have a "big tarp" but they do a "small tarp" too. You do get what you pay for very good quality and well thought out.

Info here

Cheers
    Tim
    "Travel a thousand miles by train and you are a brute;
    pedal five hundred on a bicycle and you remain basically a bourgeois;
    paddle a hundred in a canoe and you are already a child of nature."

Second vote for DD tarps . 3x3 is a good all-around size, compatible with hammock camping, and packs down small enough to not take up a lot of space in your ruck. They're also quite durable, and have heavy-duty reinforced tie-out loops. Well worth the $70/35£. Comes in OD green and coyote brown. I prefer the coyote colour because it blends in much better with the woodland floor.
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

Quote Originally Posted by -Tim- View Post
    A bit pricier, but I can recommend True North tarps, I have a "big tarp" but they do a "small tarp" too. You do get what you pay for very good quality and well thought out.

Info here

Cheers
    Tim
    They are definitely pricier! Both look good though and thought out

Samuel Hearne
    I have the DD 3 x 3m and the 4.5 x3m tarps they are good, I also have the issue poncho/ tarps that also serve as a stretcher but wont use them when using my hammock, you can get them off evil bay for around a tenner.

Hi All

Your advice has been taken on board but due to my concerns regarding stealth I have opted for a camouflaged tarp (link below). I bought the Multicam MTP tarp. It's £10 less than the DD tarp and with the inclusion of camouflage i feel a little more confident in it's ability to keep me unseen.

Remember: Swift, Silent and Deadly.

That's hardly the case really as my friend and I are 44 years old, swift is nigh on impossible, we will spend all weekend giggling like tarts about fart jokes so silent will be far from achievable and deadly, well I'm 12 stone soaking wet and we both have bad backs. I'll leave that one there.

;-)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2010359346...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT