Thread: How to tell the difference between edible Chestnuts and non-edible Conkers

How to tell the difference between edible Chestnuts and non-edible Conkers

I did a quick search on here but could not find a thread that covered this topic. I'm almost too embarrassed to ask, but ignorance should be quenched through education, not hidden in silence.

I was in the woods yesterday and this morning and saw loads of Chestnuts/Conker husks (is that the correct term?). The spiky green balls that fall from the trees.

I'd like to know how to determine which I can eat and which not. Is it easy to tell them apart, and what are the significant indications it's an edible Chestnut?

Thanks
    Bernie

Hey, look what I found on the other forum I never look at anymore: http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8069

Hi bernie
    It's always best to ask, it's only easy if you know the answer, I've found also that the horse chestnuts come out earlier than the sweet chestnuts, and yes the spikes on the sweet chestnuts are to a point hard to pick up/open with bear hands. There are normally three mainly triangular shaped nuts in a husk of the sweet chestnut, the two outer ones bigger than the one in the middle, the best time to gather the sweet ones is about October after some heavy winds, I like to eat them
    Raw as well as roasted, when raw you get a nice crunch with an ever so sweet taste, roasted its best to put two or three slits in the shell as they expand and could explode if you don't, on top of your stove/heat source in a small pan, put a drop of brandy in after they come off the heat, very nice, I do look forward the the autumn's harvest. Places you may find sweet chestnut trees are like golf courses, county manors, large estates. Etc,
    I like nothing better than being out in the cold wet windy conditions walking with my dog, and coming home and sitting in front of the log burner with a pan of roasted chestnuts and quaffing a glass of last years sloe gin watching Elle on countryfile, Bliss
    Share your knowledge. It is a way to achieve immortality.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvanbilly View Post
    Hi bernie
    It's always best to ask, it's only easy if you know the answer, I've found also that the horse chestnuts come out earlier than the sweet chestnuts, and yes the spikes on the sweet chestnuts are to a point hard to pick up/open with bear hands. There are normally three mainly triangular shaped nuts in a husk of the sweet chestnut, the two outer ones bigger than the one in the middle, the best time to gather the sweet ones is about October after some heavy winds, I like to eat them
    Raw as well as roasted, when raw you get a nice crunch with an ever so sweet taste, roasted its best to put two or three slits in the shell as they expand and could explode if you don't, on top of your stove/heat source in a small pan, put a drop of brandy in after they come off the heat, very nice, I do look forward the the autumn's harvest. Places you may find sweet chestnut trees are like golf courses, county manors, large estates. Etc,
    I like nothing better than being out in the cold wet windy conditions walking with my dog, and coming home and sitting in front of the log burner with a pan of roasted chestnuts and quaffing a glass of last years sloe gin watching Elle on countryfile, Bliss
    That does sound like Bliss. Oh yes.

I remember collecting them as a kid, and the three nuts inside rings a bell. We used to use our school shoes to open them. Standing on one side each tears the husk open and exposes the nuts, but they sometimes/often still have a few spikes on the top of the nut. I'm fairly sure now that what I saw in the woods was sweet Chestnut. I might wander in there tonight and see how big they are once opened. I think the ones that fall early are not big enough to bother with. Expect photos!

Thanks Sapper, that's a great link with a wealth of information. Maybe I'll convince someone in my family to try the soup, or grind some flour to see what it's like. Very versatile.

Your rite about the little spikes on the top of the nut, and yes parting them with your feet is how I do it sometimes, also gently hitting them whilst on the floor with a bit of log, or softly rolling them under your foot( with shoe on of coarse) I would guess its still a bit early, a good indication is when you have the nut out, the bottom of the nut has white skin, although still edible if its a good size, also it's a must to get the pith off from around the nut after shelling, a lot of people don't do this and that's why people don't like them because the pith skin is bitter.
    Share your knowledge. It is a way to achieve immortality.