Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What did you NOT buy now?

What did you NOT buy now?

Ripping this idea from a Norwegian outdoors forum. Sometimes we are itching to get new and shiny kit, but
    manage to resist temptation :-)

I drifted into a charity shop today, and immediately spotted a Norwegian army cooking pot, same design as the swedish army trangia, but without the stove) for 3£ and
    the most tempting: A WWII era Norwegian Air Force rucksack in air force blue canvas. Very comfortable on the back compared to the later army Bergans ones I was carrying in my day.
    But I did not have the 25£ to spend, and I usually don't argue about prices with the Salvation Army...

Well, well, back to school, writing an exam paper that has to be in on Monday!
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Nice twist on a successful existing thread Rune ... I like it !!!

Well ... I didn't buy a kent pattern hand axe I saw at the bootfair today ...

The handle was split and cracked the edge non-existant and the blade pitted with rust ...

I decided I really didn't need another rusteration project !!! Ha ha ha !!!

Cheers Whistle
    Life's a beach .... and then the tide comes in ....

I was in Nordicoutdoor in Keswick last weekend and narrowly avoided buying a Gransfors Bruks Outdoors axe. Fortunately my conscience, AKA the wife, bundled me out of the shop! BAH! (Note to self.... shop alone when in Keswick!!)

http://www.nordicoutdoor.co.uk/equip...l#.VBWqY5RdWSo
    If there are no women around and a man says something, is he still wrong?

Nice one Rune

What did you NOT buy now? ... been looking at lots of stuff recently ... last thing I looked at was my bank balance ( £10.99 ) so i guess that makes it easy to NOT buy anything
    * LIFE IS GOOD *

I didn't buy any string today. I often pick up cheap "para cord" in Wilkos or the £ shop but they seem to have displaced it for Halloween stuff (which I didn't buy either). But I suppose I have enough para cord key rings to be going on with for now.
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

A local second-hand bookshop had a stack of those Fighting Fantasy gamebooks from the 80s on the shelf this saturday. I nearly bought them all. I hovered. Then I told myself it was a waste of money and just being nostalgic for the sake of it and all they'd do is sit on a shelf collecting dust.

So with a great amount of self-control I walked out the shop and left them, pleased I'd done the sensible thing.

Now I feel absolutely gutted and wish I'd bought them.
    'What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare' - William Henry Davies

Kestrels:
    https://foraknave.wordpress.com/

Thinking:
    https://thinkingthink.wordpress.com/

I didn't buy (haven't bought) a Gransfors Bruks small forest axe, or any of their other axes. I've been looking for a long time through the shop window (Internet) at theirs and Husquarvna's and I've reminded myself every time that I have 3 or 4 axes that do the job just fine on the odd occasion when I need one and that another small folding saw would be a much better investment.

But I love their axes. I've spent many hours watching blacksmiths forging axes and knives. I love the process as much as the final result, maybe more. Such a wonderful craft.

I almost bought an ENO doublenest hammock, but then I realised I'm back in a ground-dwelling stage, so having an extra hammock is pointless at the moment. But when I'm back in the swing again, I'll probably buy one and sell my DD Frontline. Nothing much bad about the DD except its about 2x the bulk as the ENO and a bit heavier.
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

I've been looking at the Firebox Nano now for ages, but I resisted for two reasons. We're packing for the move and don't need more stuff to pack and the money could be used elsewhere.

Another UL fishing rod. The thing was on 50% discount. The money was in my pocket, i had it in my hand, and even took a step towards the cashier to pay for it, and then...nah, no need for it, got one just like it.
    Browsed around for other bushcrafty stuff...I had a version of it all in the shed. Looks like my mind is finally settled for what I need to do my thing, witch really is just to walk out in the local woods, make a fire, have a cuppa and go home :-)

When I do overnighters what I reaally do is the same thing, just with food and a good sleep in a hammock, lol

I guess I am content...well at least until somone gets a brilliant idea and shows it off in here, he he
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum