Thread: [Review] Lansky Tactical Blademedic

[Review] Lansky Tactical Blademedic

Well, as much as I utterly abhore any product that has the word "tactical" as part of it's name - I must admit that this little device has proven to be a very positive suprise. "Tactical" in a product name usually mens one (or all) of the following things; "overpriced", "dingy" and "overly complicated". This product is neither...

So, what is it then? Well, it's a multifunctual sharpener in a very compact, relatively lightweight, easy to use (with care) and fairly sturdy package.

Basically the Lansky Tactical Blademedic is four compact sharpeners in one:

1. A V-shaped tungsten carbide sharpener - which takes quite a bit off the blade. This one is best used for putting an edge on a dull blade or straightening a chipped edge in the field. As stated, this sharpener takes off quite a lot of blade material - and is, as such, not suited for everyday sharpening, rather I envision it for emergency blade recovery, when my benchstones or Lansky set are unavailable. The tungsten carbide jaws tends to rattle a bit when the tool is handeled.

2. A V-shaped ceramic sharpener for everyday sharpening and for polishing the edge after using the tungsten carbide sharpener or the diamond rod. This sharpener is great for a few quick strokes during or after using your blade - it is always better to keep your blade sharp than having to resharpen a dull blade

Both V-shaped sharpeners are set at about a 22,5 degrees angle - a good angle for an allround working edge.

3. A ceramic sharpener for serrated blades. I am not very big on serrated blades - but I have tried the sharpener on a serrated blade, just for the sake of the review, and it does work. It is not as convenient as the special stone for serrated blades that you can get for the Lansky set, but again; the Blademedic is a field portable option, the large Lansky set is imho. not. This sharpener is also useful for polishing the edge of larger tools after using the diamond rod - and for sharpening fishing hooks.

4. A folding tapered diamond sharpening rod. This one is also very useful for serrated blades, especially if the serrations has gone dull, as it takes off a lot more material with each stroke than the ceramic sharpener. The rod is also very useful for sharpening very large blades (leukus, machetes, etc.) which can be slightly difficult to balance in the V-shaped sharpeners - as well as tools like axes and spoon knives.

Some have complained that it is difficult to keep the correct angle when using the V-shaped sharpener - and it is true that, with time, the edge can become uneven, if care is not taken to maintain an even angle. I have found that using the V-shaped sharpeners free standing is near impossible - personally I have found it much easier to use while resting the Blademedic on a fairly flat and stable surface, all while doing slow and controlled strokes. Used this way, I have had no problems keeping the correct angle.

Aside from the rattling tungsten carbide jaws, the tool is quite solidly built. The body is all cast metal, held together with two hex screws. The folding diamond rod locks in place quite positively and stays in place. I can't see this tool break with normal (ab-)use.

The weight is around 120 g - and the lenght is about 10 cm. A little less than twice the weight of the popular Fällkniven DC 40 and about the same lenght. But for twice the weight, you also get twice the options.
    Moneywise the Blademedic is around £10 and a Fällkniven DC4 is around £15.

A tool like the Blademedic is absolutely no substitute for a good set of bench stones or a full sized Lansky set - but it is a handy sharpening tool for you desk drawer or your "out and about" kit. It's a lot more versatile than a Spyderco Double Stuff or a Fällkniven DC3 or DC4. It will not be for everyone - but my bet is most will find the Blademedic a handy little application to ones kit.

I carry a Blademedic everyday in my EDC pouch - and I have just bought another one to keep in the tool drawer of my desk.

great revue. i also bought one of these as a compact "field" system but have to say i wasnt as impressed as yourself. i found that if not careful both "V" notches would scratch either side of the blade where it came in contact with the body, i found the carbide "V" notch blades tend to "skip" and really eat into the blade edge and can even take small chunks out of it. i never managed to get a really fine edge on any of my blades with the lansky blade medic and stopped using it mainly because of the damage it was causing to my knifes ie the scratches along the blade sided and uneven/wavey profile it would have made along the cutting edge if i carried on using it... the amount drag felt and amount of shavings coming off the blade was alarming!
    the pull out diamond rod i found to be coarse and the uneaven coating tended to "catch" the only part i found useful was the rounded ceramic section after reomoval, the other flat side makes a very compact stone, doesnt get the blade razor sharp but is the only part i would use in the field... maybe the rod section to start an edge if very dull.
    in short im still looking for a practical solution for field sharpening...

Last edited by MJ.; 13-09-2014 at 11:24 AM.