Thread: fire steel from a file

fire steel from a file

Made this fire steel for my old man last night from a big old half round file I had lying about. The hardest part was squaring it up from half round without rolling the corners over, but once it was squared it wasn't too bad to draw out using a fuller to do most of the work. Really must get some lighting outside though - working in the dark with hot metal isn't the easiest of things to do. You end up doing silly things like knocking the anvil off the block and smashing your slack tub to smithereens!!

Nice job, I envy folks who have the space to make their own strikers. Strangly enough the management frown on using a forge on the patio of your apartment. But all this will change when we buy the house. then lookout I'll be pumping everyone for hints and tips.

Natural Born Bushcrafter luresalive's Avatar
    That's a cracker and my fav way to make fire.

Cheers folks just aquired a stack of old files from my dad so going to knock a few more out and maybe have a go at some knives once I've finished reading the knife making books I've borrowed and worked my confidence up a bit!