Thread: The old matchtrick

The old matchtrick

I read this in Ed Robinsons book Falling For It: The Apprenticeship.

Cut 3 notches in a flat topped tree stump now stand a match in each one.
    (You know what’s coming next don’t you). Yep that’s right, with one swing of your axe for each match, split every match one after the other.
    A felling axe was used in the book.
    I couldn’t even hit one.

If it is dark, and the match is burning I might have a chance at seeing it... hitting it is another thing!
    Bang on!

Hobo
    I played a similar game in a pub in Switzerland once, instead of a pool table they had a massive log easily 1-2m in diameter, anyone taking part takes up position around the log and carefully hammers 3 nails in a horizontal line in front of them just enough so they don't fall over, one larger nail is hammered into the center of the log, a blacksmiths hammer is passed around clockwise, basically when its your turn you take the hammer and attempt to hammer in the 3 nails in front of you using the chisel end (wedge end), you can only attempt each nail once per turn and must attempt one hit on each in quick succession without hesitating, then pass the hammer on, once the head of all 3 of your nails are flush or below the wood you must make an attempt at the center nail, again without hesitating, the first person to hammer in the center nail wins, the game continues regardless of the center nail and the last person to hammer all 3 of their nails in buys everybody playing a shot!.....AWESOME!!! What made it even more impressive, after the first 2 games with the locals being beaten by Americans and us English they called the chef from the kitchen to join us in a game, he approached the table floored his 3 nails and the center one on his first go without hesitation then walked away as if nothing even happened!

kind of similar to your match game, but apologies if its slightly of topic!
    "Its not man that defeats the Mountain, but the Mountain that changes man"

In my day I could split lambs and pigs with a cleaver, but Id be buggered if i could do the match or nail thing
    [

I've seen some people find it hard enough to LIGHT three matches with three strikes, let alone split them
    Steve Marvell
    Professional Survival Instructor
    Blog: Survival's Cool also available on Facebook

I went to a wedding where they had this set up. But I was banned on the grounds of being a blacksmith!!

Trapper
    BIG fan of this game.. And in fact I'm after a tree stump for our mess Christmas do so we can have this as a game.. Anyone in north devon got a spare stump?? The sawmill round here wants £40 for one
    failing to prepare = preparing to fail

Pray not for a lighter load, but for a stronger back.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrell freddy View Post
    BIG fan of this game.. And in fact I'm after a tree stump for our mess Christmas do so we can have this as a game.. Anyone in north devon got a spare stump?? The sawmill round here wants £40 for one
    that's an expensive tree stump!
    Previously known as Kieran, joined NBC in 2010, then lost my account details last year
    you must succeed mentally,
    http://www.ruralsurvival.co.uk/
    http://www.ruralsurvival.co.nz/