Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Successfully patented my paracord survival bracelet invention!

Ok, good luck.

Thanks Dave. I've already had a good success. A major online retailer of camping and survival related equipment was selling an exact copy under a different name. After sharing the fact that it was patented they are no longer selling.

I know this goes against what I want life to be like, but I am a realist. I know my tome of conversation doesn't indicate it, but for a living I'm a designer. In my opinion, if you want to work your patent as it should be worked don't stop them selling, ask them for a percentage and allow them to sell. If you look at what the likes of Microsoft, Apple, Google & Most world religions are doing you'll find their all making money from each others ideas.
    Last edited by Magicdave; 27-01-2015 at 01:49 AM. Reason: spell correction correction.

I've been thinking about this, and I've had a bit of a reversal of thought.

The bush craft industry, which should be an oxymoron, exists. And it needs to exist, it's a lost world full of lost knowledge that has actually been stolen from us by industrial thought, but we let that happen through our desire to have what we need supplied to us. Todays world is sadly a financial one, and we all need to finance ourselves to live in it. So what is the issue with the patent? It does restrict the marketing side of things, to whatever extent the patent holder is willing to protect/allow.

But. If I, or any other, sees the product (not necessarily this one) and it is obvious how to make it then the patent holder can't claim against it, or, won't claim against it. First they have to know about it, then they can only claim against lost potential earnings. Which that would be zero, or at the most the cost of one unit. The legal costs would be substantial to collect that zero profit.

There will always be that business competition side of things where patents are studied and design changes are utilised. Or, in the case of a true new invention, fees are paid to allow the use of the invention within another idea for the purpose.

But bushcraft is bushcraft. Nothing can be patented.

Anything that can be marketed can be reproduced, either in the same or in a different (better, or worse) way than what is being marketed.

I suppose this might actually relate to how I was thinking earlier.

Onwards and upwards.

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,

Regards
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Magicdave View Post
    I've been thinking about this, and I've had a bit of a reversal of thought.

The bush craft industry, which should be an oxymoron, exists. And it needs to exist, it's a lost world full of lost knowledge that has actually been stolen from us by industrial thought, but we let that happen through our desire to have what we need supplied to us. Todays world is sadly a financial one, and we all need to finance ourselves to live in it. So what is the issue with the patent? It does restrict the marketing side of things, to whatever extent the patent holder is willing to protect/allow.

But. If I, or any other, sees the product (not necessarily this one) and it is obvious how to make it then the patent holder can't claim against it, or, won't claim against it. First they have to know about it, then they can only claim against lost potential earnings. Which that would be zero, or at the most the cost of one unit. The legal costs would be substantial to collect that zero profit.

There will always be that business competition side of things where patents are studied and design changes are utilised. Or, in the case of a true new invention, fees are paid to allow the use of the invention within another idea for the purpose.

But bushcraft is bushcraft. Nothing can be patented.

Anything that can be marketed can be reproduced, either in the same or in a different (better, or worse) way than what is being marketed.

I suppose this might actually relate to how I was thinking earlier.

Onwards and upwards.
    Don't look now, but BCUSA trademarked the word "Bushcraft", and the threatened what was then the forum 'Blades and Bushcraft' with litigation until they changed their name to 'Blades and Bushlore'.
    Fortunately, BCUSA would get destroyed in a court hearing because the word has been around far before them.
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

That's just mental, but not really surprising.