Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gransfors Burks help!

Wanderer

Gransfors Burks help!

Hi all,
    I've been trying to get my hands on a Gransfors Burks small forest axe for around about a month or so now but every where i look it out of stock.
    can anyone help or give me some alternatives to buy.

Thanks in advance

Toney

Tribesman
    Have you tried the Woodlore site.
    Tony
    Nobody wins, unless everybody wins

NaturalBushcraft Founder Ashley Cawley's Avatar
    Hi Toney,

Have you consider their slightly smaller Wildlife Hatchet instead? I know it will depend on your needs, but my first Gransfor Bruks axe was a small forest one and although I love it I ended up getting a smaller wildlife one a couple of years after and now I find I used that one more than anything.

Just a though if the small forest axe is proving hard to get at the mo.
    Ashley Cawley

Youtube | Forum | Twitter | Flickr
    Leave No Trace

These guys appear to have them --> https://www.greenwood-direct.co.uk/
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

Wanderer
    thanks guys. and thanks Ashley never thought of a smaller one. I only thought of the small forest axe from recommendations. as i am new to bushcraft and was just trying to build up my kit. thanks again

Hi, I'm late to the party but know that Nordic outdoor stock them... Just an FYI
    http://www.nordicoutdoor.co.uk/small...l#.U_uQr5Ug_IU

The wild life hatchet may be the way to go, depends on how you use your axe. If you grip down then the handle on the small forest is not being used to maximum efficiency and so the shorter handle of the wild life would probably be better suited. If you were near a dealers you could always check them out for size and comfort.

ATB

Wanderer
    Thanks jimmy. I haven't used a axe before looking to get one so in the hopefully near future I will get out with some of the ppl on here. And learn how to use it properly. Thanks again. Toney

I agree with Ashley...my first axe was a Gränsfors Small Forest Axe, and I ended up not using it as much as I thought I would (now reserved for winter outings). I later bought a Wetterlings Wildlife which I take a lot more often, and of course now I'm looking for a good demahigan (tomahawk) .
    Your kit will evolve over time, and the axe you take with you will depend on your other sharps. If you have a folding saw and a robust knife (3.2mm spine), a hatchet may be all you need, or you may decide you don't really need one...whereas if your main knife is a puukko, you may find that a hatchet is quite handy to have around.
    I'd start-out with a reliable small axe and go from there....you have a lot of options; Gränsfors Wildlife hatchet, Wetterlings Wildlife axe, Hultafors hatchet, Husqvarna hatchet, Helko Traditional Hinterland hatchet, etc.
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

Wanderer
    Thanks oaks. I currently have a mora bushcraft black (3.2mm) spine I think. And a cupple of extra mora's and I will be getting the bacho laplander folder thanks again for the advice.

No problem Toney, all I can add is that I hope you manage to find what works for you. Kit and Axe's can be quite a personal choice, but to Echo OakAshandThorn perhaps starting out with a small axe would be a good way to go. Strong enough to do the job, and definitely a good starting point

ATB