Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Norwegian Telmark needing some TLC

Norwegian Telmark needing some TLC

Hi guys!

I just received my new "old" pack in the post today.
    I really like it, its got that balance between looking traditional and actually having some useful features! It seems pretty comfy, though there was no load in it - I thought it would be a beast to carry, however seems to fit my back well - only time will tell!

Anyway its in a bit of a state the metal frame is rusty, the buckles are all corroded (which I am told is because they were painted with some magic glow in the dark stuff so the boys could see each other), the canvas is a bit yucky and the leather (I think it should be white) is a pinkish colour. Meanwhile underneath the straps on the semi padded bit something has started to eat away at it.

So calling all you handy people!

How do I make it spick and span again?

I was thinking wire wool on the frame, then a coat of paint. Wire wool on the buckles, maybe a finer grade to make them all shiny. The canvas has been washed in the bath, so the whole house stinks! and I will give it a hard brush off tomorrow.

Is that the right way of action?

The leather and straps is the main thing I am struggling on. How do I get it back to A1 condition? It seems solid as a rock at the moment which also is not helping. Plus is there anything I can do about the padding? Any clever people know how to attach another padding to it?

THANKS GUYS! Your all a world of help!!

No ideas for you but how can you tease us like this and not show pics of this cool sounding bag I'd the buckles can be taken off being as steel maybe give a soak in vinegar for a bit and a good scrub then a wire wheel to polish them up a bit. Have heard a few guys having old packs like this the leather is usually to far gone and just as cheap I make some new straps based on the originals for patterns. I got an old knife with a very dried out sheath cracked to comma make a new one for it
    “I'm not one of those complicated, mixed-up cats. I'm not looking for the secret to life.... I just go on from day to day, taking what comes.” ~Frank Sinatra~

" Nessmuk " says:
    " We do not go to the woods to rough it ; we go to
    smooth it — we get it rough enough in town. But
    let us live the simple, natural life in the woods, and

The leather was probably grey originally - it might benefit from being dyed - Fieblings leather dyes are good. To get it supple, try a couple of generous coats of Neatsfoot oil and let it soak in. Coat the straps on both sides. Then use good quality leather polish or carnuba wax.

wire wool will work well on the metal bits. Guessing the buckles are riveted on? An old tooth brush with a mild abrasive metal polish will help if you don't fancy taking them apart.

The padding on the straps could be replaced with felted wool or get a cheap rucksack and cut the padded straps off, use them as a replacement.

Not sure about the canvas, - think someone on here has dyed one. Think there might be a thread about it somewhere.

I've got a small Norweigan pack and had similar issues http://www.endicotts.co.uk/component...etail?Itemid=0

The leather was in a similar state, and has responded well to TLC. The straps on mine aren't padded, but will be adding padding as described above.
    Last edited by Peaks; 13-08-2014 at 09:06 AM. Reason: bad grammar/repetition

When I carried that one, containing 11 kilos of sand!, during our 30km viking run in the army, my shoulders where bleeding when I crossed the finish line, and the next morning I had to go into the shower to get my
    T-shirt off , as it was sticking to my sores.

Still wan't one though :-)
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

FishyFolk - not surprised, those straps aren't too gentle!

Quote Originally Posted by Peaks View Post
    FishyFolk - not surprised, those straps aren't too gentle!
    He he, we wanted to add padding but was not allowed to, as we were advised this was the Army, not a circus, or something to that effect...we also carried a G3 rifle 4,7 kilos, and were running on mostly asphalt in WWII era combat boots. So the feet where completely destroyed as well...
    But we got a nice diploma and shiny pin to put on the uniform, ha ha
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Bet the pin made it all worthwhile.............

Wow!! Rather you than me FishyFolk!!! Gotta love a good pin :P

Here you go guys, a few pictures, sorry they are not the best!! Its been dismantled as much as possible for cleaning at the moment but I will hopefully show you all when finished!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0743.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	91.6 KB 
ID:	12440
    This is the main pack in its self, on opening it does not look that big, but as fishyfolk would probably agree.... I could fit A LOT of stuff in here, its huge. A lot like an Alice pack in shape - more wide than tall. On the side - two nice shaped side pouches not tried it but I bet they would easily fit a water bottle and kit.

Name:	IMG_0744.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	90.3 KB 
ID:	12441
    This is where one of the leather straps attached to the metal frame, years of neglect has sent it rusty, though it appears structurally - not sure what to do about this.

Name:	IMG_0745.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	12442
    The leather straps are very stiff, worn out and PINK! (sorry its not as good in my photos) I have tried "Asda trainer whitener" which seems to be exactly the same as white emulsion paint, brings the colour back 'ok' looks a bit odd though. Hopefully ome dubbin and use will sort out the stiffness.

Name:	IMG_0746.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	91.4 KB 
ID:	12443
    Anything metal has corroded. Bit of wire wool and they come up ok. Will try the vinegar trick today thank you Some of the buckles look like they are covered in sulfa and apparently its some sort of glow in the dark paint for night ops!

Name:	IMG_0747.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	91.4 KB 
ID:	12444
    The metal frame is where I started on restoration, seemed easiest. Now dont kill me if you like to keep things how they were :P But I painted the frame with black hammerite paint (as the grey was only available in pray can). I think it looks quite nice, going to start on the frame buckles and straps today, should be easy enough. The canvas back rest on the frame is a good as the day it was put on.
    I have never owned an external frame pack before so this will be a new experience!

So all in all, I think it is possible to make new again. The leather seems ok in strength - its just gone a funny colour and a bit stiff. Presumably from storage over the years.

Looks like she will be a fine pack. The external does really well handling a load better. Look forward to seeing it take shape. Do find yourself a good waist belt that will greatl help the comfort level
    “I'm not one of those complicated, mixed-up cats. I'm not looking for the secret to life.... I just go on from day to day, taking what comes.” ~Frank Sinatra~

" Nessmuk " says:
    " We do not go to the woods to rough it ; we go to
    smooth it — we get it rough enough in town. But
    let us live the simple, natural life in the woods, and

'Lookin great .
    Aye, a sternum or waist strap will save you from cursing your shoulders in the field .
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin