Thread: Plant id please

Plant id please

This one is driving me MAD! Can't for the life of me find out what the hell it is so any help would be much appreciated. The tallest is standing about 8 feet high, small flowers about 8 to 10 mm long in little clusters being redish is colour, oval to heart shaped leaves but the most distinctive feature is the square stem.

Natural Born Bushcrafter luresalive's Avatar
    I would have said figwort but 8ft seems way too tall for any figwort I've ever seen.. Normally about 4 or 5 feet

Quote Originally Posted by luresalive View Post
    I would have said figwort but 8ft seems way too tall for any figwort I've ever seen.. Normally about 4 or 5 feet
    I would have said the same ! maybe its bolted because of the shade and dry summer but normal hight 3 -4', the stem seems square enough though. Its a strange one Jus.
    Ne te confundant illigitimi It is always a pleasure to see what you can make !, instead of buying it ready made. R Proenneke.

Thanks guys, I thought I was really missing something there. I thought it was a figwort but the height completely threw me. We have absolutely loads of them in the garden this year, for the first time ever, but not a single one is within the heights normally given in the guides. It wasn't until I did a search on figwort that I cam across an American site that stated they could grow up to 10 feet, and also attracts wasps which fits as these seem to be the only plants that the wasps go to in the garden.

Very interesting plant with medicinal uses one of which ironically is for psoriasis which my son has had from birth. He suddenly became very interested in it!

Natural Born Bushcrafter luresalive's Avatar
    There are quite a few species of figwort, so it could well be one I've never seen before, though there are quite a few plants out near me, though they are the more familiar 4 ft size, it's the nodosa variety.. your's could well be a different one.. The wasp thing sells it though as it's wasps that actually pollinate figwort!
    Last edited by luresalive; 09-08-2014 at 09:32 PM.

I would have said "Figwort" as well. There appear to be at least 200 species of this plant so it seems more than likey to me
    Only my dog can judge me

http://www.devilark.com.au/