Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poshcrafting jerky tower

Poshcrafting jerky tower

One has had a little trouble with rodents, a bally mouse has masticated areas of one of my garden parasols! I have used the remaining parts to construct a poshcrafting jerky tower so that my butler can make me some in my backgarden on demand. Pip pip Jeeves I've done this short blog write up aboiut it's construction, and in it is a link to a longer warts and all blog page. http://austinlill.blogspot.co.uk/201...t-version.html

Clever idea using the umbrella parts .
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

Mang.

That is excellent mate, well one.

I have an old catering larder fridge in my shed which I plan to turn into a jerky maker/drier, but in the meantime I might knock up one the same as yours.

Do you get a bbq taste to the meat once dried and what seasonings are you using, if any.

Cheers Neil

Natural Born Bushcrafter Valantine's Avatar
    Yes very posh

very clever.
    www.jacksshed.co.uk A country living forum to compliment your bushcraft way of life.

Great when a plan comes togther!!!such a simple idea to contain the smoke,n to a traditional design.(got a couple in garage that could be put into service).instead of pipping to a tin box.
    Anyone needng rubs etc.Google BILTONG.plenty of info n spices available.
    You are never too old to learn!. A SURVIVER!

"Peasants Rule,and your Knife is your Tool."
    "A Knifeless man is a Lifeless man".Nordic Proverb.

Support The GURKA WELFARE TRUST.1815 to 2015 200 years of Service to the Crown

Look out Heath Robinson....youve got competition, great Idea Mang ,hats off to ya
    Ne te confundant illigitimi It is always a pleasure to see what you can make !, instead of buying it ready made. R Proenneke.

Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Quote Originally Posted by Chubbs View Post
    Mang.

That is excellent mate, well one.

I have an old catering larder fridge in my shed which I plan to turn into a jerky maker/drier, but in the meantime I might knock up one the same as yours.

Do you get a bbq taste to the meat once dried and what seasonings are you using, if any.

Cheers Neil
    I included what seasoning I used on the blog page I used dry shop purchased ones this time but I also like Terikayi (or Soy) sauce, garlic and grated ginger too but wet mixes can take a bit longer. As for the taste, yep spot on as it's just a posh set up surrounding a traditional process.

Quote Originally Posted by Mang View Post
    I included what seasoning I used on the blog page I used dry shop purchased ones this time but I also like Terikayi (or Soy) sauce, garlic and grated ginger too but wet mixes can take a bit longer. As for the taste, yep spot on as it's just a posh set up surrounding a traditional process.
    How many days do you,soak in sweet pickle brine ??before smoking?
    I use,1 gallon water,1lb Salt,4oz Sugar white or brown,.25oz Saltpetre.1oz pickling spice.1 clove garlic,crushed.Ive given it 3 to 4 days,keeping cool n stiring daily,.(impatient.lol)but some soak 5 to 7 days.
    You are never too old to learn!. A SURVIVER!

"Peasants Rule,and your Knife is your Tool."
    "A Knifeless man is a Lifeless man".Nordic Proverb.

Support The GURKA WELFARE TRUST.1815 to 2015 200 years of Service to the Crown