Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beginner Check List

Thanks for the help guys!

What I want to do is buy as I need. Been selling / giving away most of my kit recently for this reason... I want to set out to do something, achieve it, tick it off the list then buy then buy (but ideally make) an item that allows me to do the next thing so really going back to the basics.

So my list is going as follows:

1a) Make Fire (matches, lighter) - enough to boil water (proving I can do it)
    1b) Buy nice fire steel
    1c) Make Fire (fire steel) - enough to boil water
    1d) Identify different fungi for fire lighting, best tinder, wood etc
    1e) Make char cloth to aid in fire starting

2a) Make Shelter (Natural)
    2b) Make cordage - to improve shelter (and to prove it works)

This is not a definitive or set list by far but things like that, I attempted the fire one the other day and after half an hour or so I wrote it off as a dismal failure... going back soon hopefully to try again with a different mind set (and more matches!)

First attempt at using a tarp (DD 3x3) and tree huggers (climbing sling with carabiner) to put up the hammock. Thought it worked out ok, what do you think? I put it up in A frame, being a nice enough day and not actually needing it to sleep under I folded one corner over so I could see the world outside.

Lessons Learnt:
    1) More distance needed between trees - tried to put tarp on the diagonal but it was not enough apart
    2) Keep hammock stored in a way that the rope / string wont tangle
    3) Bring more rubbish bags for other peoples crap
    4) 4 bungees for each corner & get two more for each end along ridge line for easy and quicker set up.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0730.jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	12415

Jack - an alternative for you to consider for your # 2) Keep hammock stored in a way that the rope / string wont tangle

I attach lines to my tarp using the Siberian Hitch. It's easily undone, so when I pack up I undo and then coil the lines neatly and pop 'em back in the bag before the tarp goes in. That way I'm good to go next time whether I want my tarp square or diamond.

Also, I find it's not so much the distance between your two trees that's essential, but the distance between your two trees and the other trees used by loud snorers

Cheers,

M@
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

My advice would be pretty simple:

1. A little stove, a pan or kettle, and a mug. Enjoying a brew is the most basic bushcraft "skill".
    2. You should always carry a first aid kit when you carry sharps (knives, axes, saws), or even when not.
    3. Get training or advice on how to use the sharps if you're in any doubt.

Be responsible for yourself.
    Help others whenever you can.

Thanks for the help guys. I think slowly I am putting a plan together of what I am going to do.... Got a busy few weeks ahead but when it calmes down a bit I am going to get a fire going, only want a small one - like Bernie said getting the water to boil is the achievement

Seen talk on the GBBG about the new kelly kettle? Ghilli Kettle? (whatever make it is) where there is a "hobo stove" attachment, think I might save up for one of these to practice my fire making skills without damaging the earth.

As for first aid - that is a must, always got one on me even if its only a handful of plasters etc.

Not to worried about the knife skill as such, my father is a carpenter and joiner and I find myself pretty handy too - picked up most of my tool skills from him.

One thing I love about the whole Bushcraft Community is how willing people are to help each other, even with daft questions (like this) people give away information and much more so freely. Its such a nice things to see, especially in a world where we are all about money and personal ambitions that there are still communities working together for each other.