Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beginner Check List

Beginner Check List

Hi guys!

I am a hiker through and through - or as the lady friend likes to say "almost intrepid explorer", all the (relatively) hi tec equipment but recently with the hot weather I have been taking it easier, a walk here, a sit there, a walk there a brew there etc

Now I have always intended to get properly into bush craft but never had the knowledge or the 'push' - Now i think that time has come.

So I look to you - the wonderful people of the tindernet for advice. I want to go back to the basics - I want to buy only the minimal kit and make what I can, building up my skills and equipment as I go. So where shall I start? Can you help me by putting together a "check list" of things the noob bushcrafter?

Many thanks

Natural Born Bushcrafter luresalive's Avatar
    A knife... in theory you shouldn't need anything else!!!

1. knife and pocket folding saw - such as... pretty much any Mora or Hultafors $8-$22, Bahco Laplander $21
    2. tarp or poncho with tie-out points - such as... Equinox Egret (10x8 ft) $46, CamoOutdoor poncho $35
    3. 100 ft paracord
    4. groundsheet, roll mat, 3 season sleeping bag, space blanket (preferably not the thin mylar ones) - such as... any cheap poly tarp, Thermarest Ridgerest SoLite $30, Snugpak Sleeper Lite $55, Grabber Outdoors Original space blanket $18
    5. water bottle, mug, kettle/cook pot, stove and pot-stand - such as...any ordinary plastic water bottle (recycle a Gatorade ), Crusader canteen cup $26, Tatonka kettle 1 litre $26 or DIY coffee can pot, Trangia DIY pop-can stove with denatured alcohol fuel or Esbit stove with tablets $10, DIY pot-stand or Evernew Titanium stand $15
    6. ferro rod, lighter, and-or strike-anywhere matches in tinderbox - such as... Light My Fire Scout 2 $15, mini bic lighter $1, Diamond strike anywhere matches $4
    7. head torch with spare batteries - such as...Petzel Tikka $30
    8. shemagh, bandana, or hat
    9. map and compass - such as... Suunto A-10 $16
    10. first-aid kit - such as... Adventure Medical Kit Lightweight & Watertight $30, or build one yourself with a ziploc bag.
    11. duct tape - for tears and repairs...or tying-up zombies, curious interlopers,...
    Last edited by OakAshandThorn; 03-08-2014 at 02:13 AM. Reason: my late-night typing sucks...
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAMO-CAMOU...item2ed4e56cf7 LOOK at this for configs of tarp ...http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/sh...gurations.html ... or ... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2515852168...#ht_217wt_1192 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zebra-Stai...ht_1493wt_1192 or a tin can / ss tea cannister with homemade bail https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gE6pmVtYZSQ or/ and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9DY...-qfd7TKzb4yWXA this can be used as a pot stand with the soda can burner as well as a wood burner http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hultafors-HV...ords=hultafors or Mora knife and sleping bag or wool blanket. thats a starter kit add to or subtract to desired comfort level/ coffers. + paracord or (free) bailing twine. pegs and poles you can cut from woods.You can watch other youtube vids in the same genre to get more Ideas. This is not a definitive list just a (1) cheap way to start,atb Ken (If there is anything else you want PM me )
    Last edited by Rasputin; 03-08-2014 at 11:39 AM.
    Ne te confundant illigitimi It is always a pleasure to see what you can make !, instead of buying it ready made. R Proenneke.

Thanks for the suggestions guys! Nice bits of kit there. But sorry to say this it not sort of what I was looking for.... maybe I didnt explain it well.

I was thinking more of what to do with the kit and the skills surrounding it. For example the "first thing" anybody should learn - as I have "some of the gear and no idea".

luresalive is right with the knife, and similar to what I was thinking - I want that attitude and skill set that will allow me to create and make what I need as I need it :P
    If that makes any more sense! Soryy guys :P

How about putting together your own fire kit?

Start by getting yourself a modern typ fire steel, like this one:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ferro-Flint-...item540dd3461c

You can lean how to use it from ebay. Then put together a pouch with tinders like cotton pads with vaseline between the layers, fluff it up to catch the sparks. Some dried birch bark and some ranger bands
    + a bic lighter, some matches ina dry container, and a cheap sharp knife like an opinel#8 folding knife wich will be an excellent scarper for the fire steel, and supberb for carving feather sticks for that fire.

Then go on you tube to learn all the fire building skills. Now when autumns starts and the weather gets wetter is the perfect time to learn them.

And if you master those, maybe yoyu wanna go on to learning the real flint and steel, and learn to make char cloth, or punk wood, and put together a an 18th century type fire kit, before you move on to friction fire skills and tools :-)

And do get yourself a tarp. Then you have shelter covered , and learn to set them up in various set-ups. At the same time, you learn knots and rope skills.

This should keep you busy for a while. But a good knife like a Mora 711, Mora Companion etc all cheap but superb value for money wil set you off into carving. Perhaps carve your own spoon? Then a Mora spoon knife won't go amiss in your kit. Gives you something to do while watching those boring sunsets...
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Quote Originally Posted by 1jack1pike View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions guys! Nice bits of kit there. But sorry to say this it not sort of what I was looking for.... maybe I didnt explain it well.

I was thinking more of what to do with the kit and the skills surrounding it. For example the "first thing" anybody should learn - as I have "some of the gear and no idea".

luresalive is right with the knife, and similar to what I was thinking - I want that attitude and skill set that will allow me to create and make what I need as I need it :P
    If that makes any more sense! Soryy guys :P
    Ahh ! well instead of remaking the wheel I suggest you go to https://www.youtube.com/user/NaturalBushcraft/videos NBC's youtube site and go through whatever you would like to learn , As Rune says fire is very important and is prob. #1. ATB, Ken
    Last edited by Rasputin; 04-08-2014 at 03:17 PM.
    Ne te confundant illigitimi It is always a pleasure to see what you can make !, instead of buying it ready made. R Proenneke.

Also see if you can take a first-aid course and get certified . Never know when or where you might need it...
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

Learn to cook, cooking is a skill sadly lacking in some 'bushcrafters' having seen some of them dish up some truly horrid food.
    Richard
    South Wales UK

Natural Born Bushcrafter luresalive's Avatar
    Ok, the easiest way to get your head round the basics is to focus on dave canterburys 5 C's of survivability..

Cutting tool .. A knife, carbon steel so that it also throws sparks
    Combustion ... A lighter, matches or ferro rod, something to make fire
    Container .. Metal, a crusader cup or billy can, to cook food and carry stuff
    Cover ... A tarp or similar for shelter when needed
    Cordage ... Paracord or similar, to make snares, peg out your tarp million other uses.

With these 5 small items you should in theory be able to survive indefinitely provided you can source water ( not usually difficult) and food.. Get to know your plants and how to fish, hunt and trap..

Try not to get sucked into the 'kit' mentality, practise with your 5 items and you'd be surprised how simple it becomes once your knowledge grows, learn slowly and take the knowledge in carefully, practise, practise, practise it'll become second nature after a while.
    Last edited by luresalive; 05-08-2014 at 01:30 PM.