Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Sheeple thread

The Sheeple thread

Since I started this Bushcraft stuff a couple of years back, I have purchased a number of items that have been used once, and a few that never saw any use at all.
    Mainly due to shiny kit syndrome inspired from here and youtube.

Here are a few choice ones:

G.I canteen mug with lid and pouch - I have another cooking kit that I like better, so used once.
    Opinel #8 folding knife. -A gifft from Jakob, always in my go-bag, used once to carve a return gift for Jakob. Never taken out of the bag, as my belt knife is just easier to get to.
    Trail Hawk - Come on, its a toy!
    Sling shot - Always in the bag...never taken out after being put there.
    Camelbak type water bladder: Since when did one have to carry 3 liters of water in Northern Norway? Never used.
    Various pots and pans...I refuse to count them...

There are a lot more, and I am shamed to say I am not ready to give up any of them!
    But will lend any kit I have to anyone who needs it, includin those in daily use....except for my prrrrrec....uh....my sharps.

So how 'bout you?
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

I find for myself a lot of my excess gear is from trial and error. There are a lot of things which didn't work out quite as well as I hoped. Like you I find the trail hawk one of those. With a light weight head and narrow blade it is relatively useless.

Welcome to the community MongooseDownUnder

Jump over into the intro thread and say hello to folks, linky below -

http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/fo...the-Community!

Quote Originally Posted by MongooseDownUnder View Post
    I find for myself a lot of my excess gear is from trial and error. There are a lot of things which didn't work out quite as well as I hoped. Like you I find the trail hawk one of those. With a light weight head and narrow blade it is relatively useless.
    Oh yes, the trial and error excuse

The thing is, a lot of this stuff is working for someone. The trouble is, I either had something better, or something else doing the same thing equally good when the urge came
    to get whatever it was.

Take that GI canteen complete with stainless steel canteen cup and lid. Brilliant piece of kit, But I already had a Nalgene bottøe, nested in a an Ollicamp stanless steel cup, when I purchased the G.I kit,Well, "everyone" was using those millitary canteen cups to brew up on Youtube, so the sheeple syndrome kicked in and I had to have one.

So how to stop?

It's like this:

You have item A. It is doing its task brilliantly...why do I feel the urge to also buy item B,C,D and F that does exactly the same thing!
    Okay,..redundancy in case something goes wrong. But how many do you need?

I have to stop, lol...

...yeah, yeah, soon there will be a post in the look what I bought npow thread...aaaargh!

So whats your sheeple items?
    Last edited by FishyFolk; 02-08-2014 at 12:15 AM.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Svord Peasant Knife....the miserable quality of the handle has made me wonder if it will stand up to any pressure used to cut timber. Haven't been in a bushcraft or survival situation yet, but, will let you know.....

Quote Originally Posted by Dreward View Post
    Svord Peasant Knife....the miserable quality of the handle has made me wonder if it will stand up to any pressure used to cut timber. Haven't been in a bushcraft or survival situation yet, but, will let you know.....

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't the Svord Peasant a folder? I guess depending on your definition of 'cut timber' it's hard to know how long it may last.

I'm guilty of all of the above, but my shameful excuse is that different things work in different situations,

eg. a day hike compared to a week on the trail, or summer versus winter. This applies to shelter, sleeping kit, cooking and all the other stuff. SOME of it JUST DOESN'T WORK

Sometimes I like to rough it other times I like creature comforts too, it all changes the kit I take or want to carry

Plus I like shiney kit, I do have favourites that go everywhere with me
    Campfires are best shared with friends.

Samuel Hearne
    I am also guilty of the above and have a garage full of kit that I don't use and keep getting more stuff than I need, I will have to sort it all out at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigger004 View Post
    I'm guilty of all of the above, but my shameful excuse is that different things work in different situations,

eg. a day hike compared to a week on the trail, or summer versus winter. This applies to shelter, sleeping kit, cooking and all the other stuff. SOME of it JUST DOESN'T WORK

Sometimes I like to rough it other times I like creature comforts too, it all changes the kit I take or want to carry

Plus I like shiney kit, I do have favourites that go everywhere with me
    Same here Tig
    Ne te confundant illigitimi It is always a pleasure to see what you can make !, instead of buying it ready made. R Proenneke.

I'm pleased to say that I've not bought too much unneccesary kit.
    When I buy something new that's because I see it as an upgrade, so I will generally get rid of the old thing rather than just horde items.
    That said, I do have more than one stove, and I do have more than one pot/pan combination. But those different items all have a use for different needs and circumstances and all get used.

But I have made a couple of duff buys and I don't know why I bought them (beyond being a bit of bushcraft uniform).

First is a laplander saw. I'm being a tad unfair on this one. I also have an Opinel saw and that's the one I use the most. The Opinel is smaller and lighter and perfect for cutting the size of sticks I need to go into my Nimblewill stove. So, for me, the laplander is...well, not useless...but still never gets used. For my needs, the Opinel saw is perfect and is the one that gets used.

Secondly, is a hatchet. Again, for my needs and what I do, I never use it. It sits in the shed. I bought it solely because I was a gullible berk and thought that all bushcrafters had to have an axe of some kind. Utter waste of money.

P.S. I should say that I find the word 'sheeple' intensely annoying. It is condescending and arrogant. Although I realise the OP was using it light-heartedly and not in that superior and supercilious manner that many conspiracy theorist like to do. Just saying.
    'What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare' - William Henry Davies

Kestrels:
    https://foraknave.wordpress.com/

Thinking:
    https://thinkingthink.wordpress.com/