Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 'Bushcraft' Now a Trade-mark?

That a massive site now, lots of paid up members...big $$$$$'s being made there. I questioned something said on there and received a life ban; the owner (Guy Wood?) is ruthless.

Can't see the trademark being an issue, certainly not in the UK.
    Richard
    South Wales UK

Natural Born Bushcrafter luresalive's Avatar
    If there's a bloke willing to trademark the word (and it is a word which has been in common usage for well over 100 years) then there will be a bloke willing to challenge the ruling, if it ever went to court it would be thrown out once the judge realised the word has been commonly used for decades, it's not that difficult to overturn a trademark as long as you're willing to put the effort and money into it.

They've only got a little over 40,000 members and less than 10,000 active members, that's not really a lot in the grand scheme of things.. certainly not when you count up all the other bushcrafters in the world that would be ticked off if they tried to enforce it!
    Last edited by luresalive; 29-07-2014 at 10:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rik_uk3 View Post
    That a massive site now, lots of paid up members...big $$$$$'s being made there. I questioned something said on there and received a life ban; the owner (Guy Wood?) is ruthless.

Can't see the trademark being an issue, certainly not in the UK.
    I don't think the users fork over $$ for memberships, but lots of people (not just members) purchase products from their store, Bushcraft Outfitters. That's a big part of their business. I imagine, though, that many members regularly donate, which would increase profits.

Yep, that's him - 'Mr. High-and-Mighty-Bruce-Almighty', the tyrant. Quite a few have also made inquiries only to receive bans.

Quote Originally Posted by luresalive View Post
    If there's a bloke willing to trademark the word (and it is a word which has been in common usage for well over 100 years) then there will be a bloke willing to challenge the ruling, if it ever went to court it would be thrown out once the judge realised the word has been commonly used for decades, it's not that difficult to overturn a trademark as long as you're willing to put the effort and money into it.

They've only got a little over 40,000 members and less than 10,000 active members, that's not really a lot in the grand scheme of things.. certainly not when you count up all the other bushcrafters in the world that would be ticked off if they tried to enforce it!
    The silly part is that Guy was doing this just so he could "out-compete" a "rival" bushcraft forum. I don't see why, since BCUSA is pretty much the only forum over here out to make lots of $$ and stomp on anyone who gets in their way. I wonder if it was 'Blades and Bushcraft'...because most of the members there were originally part of BCUSA but left when the mods and staff started acting like a bunch of uncontrollable cowboys rounding up natives.
    Well,....keep in mind that many of those 40,000 may be folks who got banned but their usernames are still registered as "members". That happened to quite a few over recent years.
    I'm soooooo glad I never joined that fascist-like forum.
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

Quote Originally Posted by OakAshandThorn View Post
    I don't think the users fork over $$ for memberships, but lots of people (not just members) purchase products from their store, Bushcraft Outfitters. That's a big part of their business. I imagine, though, that many members regularly donate, which would increase profits.

Yep, that's him - 'Mr. High-and-Mighty-Bruce-Almighty', the tyrant. Quite a few have also made inquiries only to receive bans.

The silly part is that Guy was doing this just so he could "out-compete" a "rival" bushcraft forum. I don't see why, since BCUSA is pretty much the only forum over here out to make lots of $$ and stomp on anyone who gets in their way. I wonder if it was 'Blades and Bushcraft'...because most of the members there were originally part of BCUSA but left when the mods and staff started acting like a bunch of uncontrollable cowboys rounding up natives.
    Well,....keep in mind that many of those 40,000 may be folks who got banned but their usernames are still registered as "members". That happened to quite a few over recent years.
    I'm soooooo glad I never joined that fascist-like forum.
    I've no doubt that's exactly who it was as they're now called Blades and Bushlore !!

Quote Originally Posted by luresalive View Post
    I've no doubt that's exactly who it was as they're now called Blades and Bushlore !!
    Oh, great...
    They need to press charges against BCUSA
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

Yeah, for all the denials coming out of BCUSA it certainly now seems that some of the charges against them were true.

I'm considering trade-marking the list below. We'll see how well certain "Shrub Skill" forums cope without them

(In no particular order)

Goat
    Knife
    Hammock
    President
    Ashley
    Sheep
    Bacon
    Wood
    Trees
    Trunk
    Grizzly
    and finally Log

If I'm successful then NBC members may have and unrestricted access to this list for use at any point.

N.B. For the avoidance of doubt, I am not being serious, so please, feel free to contribute your own words to the list.

M@
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

Interesting choice of words. That list could be incriminating in the hands of a criminal psychologist.

Quote Originally Posted by OakAshandThorn View Post
    Just got done reading a bit of news from Ross at Woodtrekker about the BCUSA forum trade-marking the term 'bushcraft'. Funny thing is that the term 'bushcraft' has been used for quite some time already, before the BCUSA forum was even created. The sad truth of this is that, apparently, the staff at BCUSA and forum-host are trying to use the term for their own financial gain. This is a tricky situation...
    http://woodtrekker.blogspot.com/2014...#disqus_thread
    I could be mistaken, but th efact that something has been around a long time has little to do with it. My friend was doing song parodies and they were getting play on the radio. They were called Sooner tailgate tune. Then OU copywrited the name sooner. Cease and desist. Gene Simmons copywrited the image of a bag with the dollar sign on it. Michael Jackson had the rights to happy birthday to you. I guess every time these images or songs are used in TV, MOvie, Radio etc, these people get paid. I suspect that sometimes, it never occurs to people to copywrite ordinary stuff but it can be done.

Bushcraft was trademarked not copyrighted and when going through the process, apparently you are asked to sign a declaration saying you know of no other person or place using that particular word/name.. apparently the lied and said they knew of nobody else using the word.. but I've only heard it from one side, BCUSA are being very tight lipped over it all and the fact that a forum ( a rival forum ) has just had to change it's name does make me wonder, but to be honest, there's loads of Bushcraft names trademarked here in the UK, so it really doesn't affect us in any way..