Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hunting and gun ownership in UK, Europe?

hunting and gun ownership in UK, Europe?

I have a question for some of you that live in the UK and European countries. I live in the USA and we have (for good and ill) fairly liberal gun laws. I hunt maybe 10 or 12 times a year with Bow, rifle, and shotgun.
    What are the rules in UK and Europe concerning civilians owning firearms and everyday citizens hunting?
    Thanks

In the UK bow hunting is illegal....and our firearms laws are complicated and there is strict legislation applied to the private ownership of firearms.

Read and enjoy.....and then I'll send you the laws on airguns and then the vcra....which covers airsoft and replica firearms

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...he-police-2012
    [

Bowhunting is also prohibited in Germany... Even very much so... This also counts for crossbows! To own guns for hunting purposes you have to acquire a quite complicated hunting license with written, oral and practical exam and a need to have a spotless policerecord. Afterwards you are allowed to own any number of rifles or shotguns but only two handguns. Hunting different kind of game you also need to pay attention to the kind of amo you use. From roe deer on you'll have to use a bullet larger than. 222 rem delivering more thab 1000 Joule at 100m . For wild boar or reddeer you need minimum 6,5mm bullet which delivers minimum 2000 Joule at 100 m.

It is complicated...

In France, you have to take an exam as well
    Only my dog can judge me

http://www.devilark.com.au/

Hi OK,Getting a shotgun in uk,is not a difficult proccess if one is law abiding n generaly no criminal record.Once one has their Shotgun Certificate you can buy as many shotguns as one may require.Semi -autos limited to 3shot.n use them were ever you have permision/shooting rights etc.also clay shooting with no restriction.
    Firearms,ie Rifles,extension mag semi/pumpshotguns,Pistols,(we can still have these for humiane dispatch of deer/boar etc)also we can have Black powder revolvers.High power Airrifles.(above 12fpe,which are freely available)But one has to have good reason to possess each n every rifle/pistol etc,ie,you belong to a rifle club n target shoot,or if you want to hunt,we call it stalking in uk,as hunting is done on horse back in persuit of the Fox!One must have land n shooting right,permission.often one will be granted a restricted certificate,which will name the land you are allowed to shoot on and that alone.As one would becomes profficient one get an "open certificate which alows you to shoot on any land you have permission.Sometimes there are restrictions on which n what calibre you can use to shoot which animal etc.Hope this gives you,a rough idea.
    I choose now days to hunt abroad.France n Croatia.Flights are cheap to croatia.The hunting clubs,offer superb Driven Boar hunting.I tend to hunt boar to go into the food chain.but there are some large keilers,wild Bears too,Fallow n roe Deer.Should you want it.Been going for 10 years,its such a bargain,different way of life,complete freedom!Hope I can go for another10 years.but at 73yrsI keep my fingers crossed.lol.
    Though I only shoot Boar in france,down the Loire Valley,(Cousins have a farm there.) one can use a bow n broad heads,also hunt then with a spear if thats your thing.Cross bows in France,I have been told, may be used,(I have one)in walled estates only.Often,Once a year,If the Boar become a pest!the local Mayor,declares open season on them.Its published in the paper.n for 14 days all or any restrictions are withdrawn.n everyone can go out n "pest control"the boar.
    WE,Been in Europe ,Also have European Firearms permits which allow one to travel freely throughout europe.Which is very handy,(especially now Croatia in europe.no longer require a Croatian FAC.)I believe you in the states can have problems going from state to state.????Hope this helps any questions be glad to answer or try to.lol.Good Hunting.Mike.
    You are never too old to learn!. A SURVIVER!

"Peasants Rule,and your Knife is your Tool."
    "A Knifeless man is a Lifeless man".Nordic Proverb.

Support The GURKA WELFARE TRUST.1815 to 2015 200 years of Service to the Crown

Quote Originally Posted by Sapper View Post
    In the UK bow hunting is illegal....and our firearms laws are complicated and there is strict legislation applied to the private ownership of firearms.

Read and enjoy.....and then I'll send you the laws on airguns and then the vcra....which covers airsoft and replica firearms

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...he-police-2012
    OHMYGOD I have a migraine. WOW. But thanks for the info. I guess there are a lot of regulations here in the USA too. In fact there are more regulation and rules and laws with regard to firearms than in any other area of American life OTHER than the health and medical industry.
    I am heartened to see the Sport and Leisure are considered legitimate reasons to own a shotgun

Quote Originally Posted by Primerib View Post
    Bowhunting is also prohibited in Germany... Even very much so... This also counts for crossbows! To own guns for hunting purposes you have to acquire a quite complicated hunting license with written, oral and practical exam and a need to have a spotless policerecord. Afterwards you are allowed to own any number of rifles or shotguns but only two handguns. Hunting different kind of game you also need to pay attention to the kind of amo you use. From roe deer on you'll have to use a bullet larger than. 222 rem delivering more thab 1000 Joule at 100m . For wild boar or reddeer you need minimum 6,5mm bullet which delivers minimum 2000 Joule at 100 m.

It is complicated...
    How does one gain experience and familiarity with firearms to pass the practical examination?
    And can you explain the logic behind hunting with a bow being illegal? Does it have to do with humanely harvesting of the animal? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by midas View Post
    Hi OK,Getting a shotgun in uk,is not a difficult proccess if one is law abiding n generaly no criminal record.Once one has their Shotgun Certificate you can buy as many shotguns as one may require.Semi -autos limited to 3shot.n use them were ever you have permision/shooting rights etc.also clay shooting with no restriction.
    Firearms,ie Rifles,extension mag semi/pumpshotguns,Pistols,(we can still have these for humiane dispatch of deer/boar etc)also we can have Black powder revolvers.High power Airrifles.(above 12fpe,which are freely available)But one has to have good reason to possess each n every rifle/pistol etc,ie,you belong to a rifle club n target shoot,or if you want to hunt,we call it stalking in uk,as hunting is done on horse back in persuit of the Fox!One must have land n shooting right,permission.often one will be granted a restricted certificate,which will name the land you are allowed to shoot on and that alone.As one would becomes profficient one get an "open certificate which alows you to shoot on any land you have permission.Sometimes there are restrictions on which n what calibre you can use to shoot which animal etc.Hope this gives you,a rough idea.
    I choose now days to hunt abroad.France n Croatia.Flights are cheap to croatia.The hunting clubs,offer superb Driven Boar hunting.I tend to hunt boar to go into the food chain.but there are some large keilers,wild Bears too,Fallow n roe Deer.Should you want it.Been going for 10 years,its such a bargain,different way of life,complete freedom!Hope I can go for another10 years.but at 73yrsI keep my fingers crossed.lol.
    Though I only shoot Boar in france,down the Loire Valley,(Cousins have a farm there.) one can use a bow n broad heads,also hunt then with a spear if thats your thing.Cross bows in France,I have been told, may be used,(I have one)in walled estates only.Often,Once a year,If the Boar become a pest!the local Mayor,declares open season on them.Its published in the paper.n for 14 days all or any restrictions are withdrawn.n everyone can go out n "pest control"the boar.
    WE,Been in Europe ,Also have European Firearms permits which allow one to travel freely throughout europe.Which is very handy,(especially now Croatia in europe.no longer require a Croatian FAC.)I believe you in the states can have problems going from state to state.????Hope this helps any questions be glad to answer or try to.lol.Good Hunting.Mike.
    Midas. Thanks That was informative. I have friends in AT with whom I play music sometimes. They mentioned going boar hunting in Eastern Europe as well. Don’t know if I will get the chance.
    As for your question of traveling from state to state with firearms, it is not any problem at all. There are no checks or check points. Although recently some states (California and Massachusetts, maybe Colorado) have passed laws with regard to magazine capacity and fire arm type (what is commonly and mistakenly called assault weapons), and I have yet to travel to those states with these types of weapons. COlorado and California are both Elk, Bear, Mule Deer, and to a lesser extent, moose destinations for hunters, so these restrictions do not apply to a standard 5 round bolt or semiauto hunting rifle.
    However the climate is changing here with regard to gun ownership and I expect to see more stringent regs come down the pike, even in the face of some historically low crime rates. Although the murder rate is half of what it was in the 70’s, some of the events have been pretty sensational and disturbing.
    Sometimes I think that we, as a culture are not quite right.....

Glad to be of help,OK.Forgot to mention we no longer have semi-auto rifles,(except .22rimfire)Though we have them built without gas systems etc.Ruger mini 14's n rifles built on the M16 frame.Some of these.(more for compitition shooting)n in pistol calibres,are tricked out to lock the bolt open on firing,then by pressing a convienant button gun goes into battery,n can be fired.almost as fast as a semi auto.Been left handed I havea couple of winchester lever actions.45/70 n .44mag,a couple of Remington bolt rifles.one left in .270,as military calibres require a special licence in France.My Remmy 700PSS,sniping rifle in .308 is a right handed one,which i find handy as I shoot it off a bypod.n can work the bolt without moving my trigger finger.
    I had thought there were problems were one state would consider your gun concield if in the trunk,and others were you had to display rifle ie in back window of pick up truck?Never been Hunting in USA,but have hunted in Alberta,Canada.also the Northern Territories of Australia.If you can get the chance to visit "EASTERN" Europe,I.m sure you.d enjoy it.n compared with pricing in other countries very reasonable!!ATB Mike..PS.we have no restrictions on magazine capacity.in uk.I believe in some countries in europe 3 or 5rounds are max for hunting.Though like the moderators that lots of stalkers use here.n are not allowed in Croatia.a blind eye is turned for visiting sportsmen.Though now they are in Europe.The police dont want to check your rifle now,theres no croatian permit to check it against.rifles just come off plane first onto carousel.
    Last edited by midas; 25-07-2014 at 11:43 PM.
    You are never too old to learn!. A SURVIVER!

"Peasants Rule,and your Knife is your Tool."
    "A Knifeless man is a Lifeless man".Nordic Proverb.

Support The GURKA WELFARE TRUST.1815 to 2015 200 years of Service to the Crown

ABout the “concealed” thing. I find that some of the COps don’t even know the rules. Not to belittle them but some of the laws are confusing. I had my pack in my car and a big bowie (in the old days) strapped to it on the outside. I was pulled over by the cops and after he told me that I had not signaled for a lane change, he saw my knife on my pack. And he said that it could be considered a concealed weapon and that I could be written up. But I mentioned that it was in plain site and not concealed. And he thought about it and agreed.
    I do not have a concealed weapons permit although they are easy to get here unless you are a felon, are guilty of domestic violence, or are deemed mentally unstable. However in my state and many others, it is legal for me to carry my pistol unloaded in my car, with the loaded magazine locked in the glove compartment
    I would like to see you work you 700PPS cycling the bolt with your support hand. Sounds complicated. I agree that your lever guns are probably almost as fast as a semi auto. And probably more accurate.
    I do hope to hunt Eastern Europe. I hope you get to hunt in the USA.