Thread: Chia seeds - a useful very lightweight outdoor food?

Chia seeds - a useful very lightweight outdoor food?

hese tiny black and white seeds pack a powerful nutritional punch, containing essential fatty acids (the best known vegetarian source of alpha-linolenic acid - omega-3), protein, soluble fibre, protective antioxidants, minerals and vitamins.

Native Americans in Mexico and the southern United States consumed the seeds of the chia plant for hundreds of years before the arrival of Europeans. Chia was cultivated by the Aztecs, Mayans and other tribes. The good news is that chia seeds are now being produced in Western Australia and are readily available across the country in health food stores, meaning food miles are reduced.

Chia seeds contain 32-39 per cent oil. The oil offers the highest natural percentage known of alpha-linolenic acid (60-63 per cent). Alpha-linolenic acid (omega-3) is an essential fatty acid that, in the human body, acts as a foundation for the transformation into EPA and DHA through the action of certain enzymes. In addition, the seeds contain some omega-6 essential fatty acids and contain a beneficial omega-3 to omega-6 ratio of 3:2. Modern diets contain too little omega-3 fatty acids and too many omega 6 fats, often in a ratio of 1:20.

The seeds also contain approximately 20 per cent protein and the amino acids of chia protein have no limiting factors in the adult diet (i.e. they are a complete protein source with all essential amino acids in an appropriate balance). Chia seeds are also a good source of B vitamins, calcium, phosphorus, potassium, zinc, boron and copper. Chia seeds are also an excellent source of antioxidants.

Chia seeds absorb more than nine times their weight in water and form a gel that causes a slow release of carbohydrates and an equally slow conversion of carbohydrates into glucose (blood sugar) for energy. When in the stomach, the seeds act much the same way, creating a barrier between the carbohydrates and the digestive enzymes that break them down. The carbohydrates are digested, but at a slow and uniform rate. There is no insulin surge necessary to reduce blood sugar levels. To make a chia gel, simply add one tablespoon of chia seeds to a glass of water and leave in the fridge for half an hour, or longer. The gel can be added to smoothies, juices, porridge, yoghurt or sauces.

Chia seeds are also high in fibre, both soluble and insoluble. Soluble fibre absorbs water (as can be seen when chia seeds are placed in water) and has many benefits, including moderating blood glucose levels and reducing cholesterol. Insoluble fibre does not absorb or dissolve in water. It passes through the digestive system and offers many benefits to intestinal health, including regular gut function and can also lower the risk of colon cancer.

In comparison to flax seeds, chia seeds are almost equal, containing more fibre and protein per serve and approximately the same amount of Omega 3 fats. It's great to make both chia and flax seeds a part of your diet, ensuring adequate nutrients from a range of foods. The table below compares chia and flax seeds:

1 tbsp Chia seeds (15g) 1 tbsp Flax seeds (10g)
    Energy 288 kJ 220 kJ
    Protein 3.1 grams 2.0 grams
    Omega 3 2.9 grams 2.5 grams
    Omega 6 1.1 grams 0.7 grams
    Fibre 5.4 grams 2.7 grams

http://www.thefoodcoach.com.au/articles/?ArticleID=654
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Just say NO to unnecessary suffering - https://www.youtube.com/user/susannewilliams

What's your outlook on Quinoa...or are we talking about the same seed ? If not what are the options for cooking and recipe ideas while Bushcrafting or Backpacking ?

Quinoa - different thing..

Haven't looked into that one...

Will do now though.... cool!

Thank you for that!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Just say NO to unnecessary suffering - https://www.youtube.com/user/susannewilliams

Your welcome...let us know what you think....Have Fun....

Thanks Susannewilliams. I have just discovered Chia and Flax seeds. I did not know all that about energy and slow release carbs. I make my own fruit and nut bars with dates, almonds and chia and or flax seeds. I guess the fruit and nuts are not the best food combining (sugar and protein) but the dates keep the whole thing together. My health food mentor also makes many dishes with Chia, most recently a Chia, raw yogurt, cucumber and dill dip.
    I am not crazy about the taste of Quinoa. I dont know why. But it is very good food. I think it is 14 g of protein and about 60 of carbs per serving. It is readily available here in Oklahoma.
    I am also eating Amaranth which was cultivated by my ancestors, The Aztecs. But I do not know the nutritional values. It is considered a super food though.
    By the way, I try to stay away from Wheat and the grains really help.
    Cheers
    PS I also BBQ ribs. I am an enigma..........

Got some ribs marinating in Hoisin Sauce,for tomoz.those n some pulled pork n Apple sauce.mmmmmmmmmm
    You are never too old to learn!. A SURVIVER!

"Peasants Rule,and your Knife is your Tool."
    "A Knifeless man is a Lifeless man".Nordic Proverb.

Support The GURKA WELFARE TRUST.1815 to 2015 200 years of Service to the Crown

mmmmmmmm......

Interesting... . I've used Chia in baking (adding to breads mostly), but little else. Definitely something to look into more since I'm now on a gluten-free diet. Quinoa is another good one, though they are better for the protein...Chia is more balanced in terms of nutrition.
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

I assume that is why quinoa is so popular among vegans. One would have to actively pay attention to what foods have the.protein needed.

If your a veggie/vegan or backpacker with not much meat to hand another good source of nutrition is Engevita yeast (trade name). Don't quote me check for yourself it is a yeast that grows on the surface of plums (the powdery coating) and is used by vegans to supplement the vitamins, etc, that you can only get from meat. You use it as a sprinkle on condiment....