Thread: The re-wilding of Chernobyl

The re-wilding of Chernobyl

Interesting video this one, looks at the animal populations and how they are doing in the radioactive landscape surrounding the Chernobyl Nuclear Reactor. Makes you wonder just how well nature could do without us around.

Just been watching it now, really interesting how quickly nature claims things back

the annoying thing is the radioactivity dident have to be as high as it was in the surrounding land,moscow ordered cloud seeding over chernobyl straight after it happend so the rain would take a lot of the radiation down into the ground to stop it reaching moscow,the way the wind was carried it right over us and its only in recent years the radioactive levels have come down to a safe level in the sheep,hares etc,because its in the ground it appears in the new growth every spring which is then eaten by the animals....atb kev

Still a bit baffled by the science of it- in my mind I had a simplistic explanation where radiation = bad, how is it that do many species were thriving rather than dying from continued exposure?

I read something recently that was saying/showing how nothing was decaying there.... none of the dead trees or leaves were decaying at all as all the microbial life thats breaks down dead organic matter is missing.

Richard
    South Wales UK

I enjoyed that, thanks for posting it.
    He who says "he can" and he who says "he can't", are both usually right.