Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: axe mod

axe mod

before i start i must apoligize to shack,this was his axe and i did promise to look after it.
    so the story is i swapped my wildlife with shack for his sfa,he wanted a hatchet and i wanted something a bit heavier as i found it a bit on the light side.
    i been using the sfa for a few months now for my carving and i love it,that half a pound of extra weight makes all the differance..but..that extra 4-5 inches of handle means when its choked up it acts like a counter balance and dont feel right,it definatly is jack of all trades master of none.
    my plan was to have a jack of all trades master of one ie a carving axe but i dident fancy scrapping a good handle so i took a big gulp and chopped it down to 13".
    next problem was no end knob so i shaped the cut end into a 20mm peg,i had a lump of pearwood that had dried out nice so i drilled it so it was a tight fit,loads of pva so there is zero chance of it working loose

next job was making it comfy in my hand,i took a bit of the shoulder where it sits in my hand when choked up and made it more finger friendly under the bit,i gave it a tooled finish and a bit of shaping at the knob end...what do you think

i love it,it behaves like the wildlife but with more weight behind it,balance is neutral just behind the head where it sits in my hand in a choked position...i am surprised this model isent made in this format for carving etc as it feels so right in use...any feed back on this good or otherwise will be most appreciated...atb kev

Not sure I'm comfortable in calling it a knob, so with the aid of google I now know to call it the heel and toe.

Ok then, the shape of the heel/toe looks like it will give nice and positive "stop" one that won't allow a sweaty hand to easily slip off the end when swung.

Nice job although I won't be getting a saw to my SFA it's yours and as you are happy with the out come all is good.

Keep on carving..

Cheers
    Tim
    "Travel a thousand miles by train and you are a brute;
    pedal five hundred on a bicycle and you remain basically a bourgeois;
    paddle a hundred in a canoe and you are already a child of nature."

thanks tim,i know what you mean,the sfa handle is a lovely looking thing and if it wasent getting used mainly for carving it would be the last thing i would do but i find the wildlife gives me a sore arm after prolonged use as its just that bit to light for me and i'm not that keen on the shape of the carving axe so this seemed like the right thing to do as you rightly say..for me.
    i pondered over it a long time before making the cut and thought if it goes pear shaped i can allways re-handle/helve it.
    sorry if i caused any offence with my wording,i have allways called it the end knob,no other meaning intended...i copied it of the faceted beech carving handles that gb axes can be supplied with...atb kev
    Last edited by headshot; 21-07-2014 at 05:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by headshot View Post
    sorry if i caused any offence with my wording,
    Hey Kev, don't worry, I'm pretty thick skinned so in no way was I offended, its just what I was trying to get across and the way I worded it and using the word knob would have made my comment look like a smutty joke, which to be honest in the right surroundings would have been.....but I do try to be careful on what I write on forums/farcebook...

Cheers
    Tim
    "Travel a thousand miles by train and you are a brute;
    pedal five hundred on a bicycle and you remain basically a bourgeois;
    paddle a hundred in a canoe and you are already a child of nature."

lol yes i see what you mean now i've looked back it...atb kev

Natural Born Bushcrafter Valantine's Avatar
    Nice mod and if it works all the better. I think the word you need to call it is POMMEL

Natural Born Bushcrafter Midge_Fodder's Avatar
    I tend to use the term swell. I suppose if the term fits use it, but then I have been known to curse like a sailor...... Mrs Shug waves the penny jar around anytime I decide to do diy. Today the fence went up today at the mother in laws. I feel poor now.
    Border Bushcrafters

Isn't it nice when someone says "that's a great piece of kit, where did you buy that", then you can modestly reply "you can't buy it, I made it myself". The moral is, it's amazing what you can achieve if you put your mind to it.

"No better burden can a man carry on the road, than a store of common sense." - Hávamál: 10

http://midgefodderbushcraft.blogspot.co.uk

lol i can relate to that,everytime i start something in the house all i get is "why dont you do it this way" or "i knew that wouldent work"...right stop it now as i feel like cursing at her now

Natural Born Bushcrafter Midge_Fodder's Avatar
    Worst if it is I'm a time served tradesman lol.....
    Border Bushcrafters

Isn't it nice when someone says "that's a great piece of kit, where did you buy that", then you can modestly reply "you can't buy it, I made it myself". The moral is, it's amazing what you can achieve if you put your mind to it.

"No better burden can a man carry on the road, than a store of common sense." - Hávamál: 10

http://midgefodderbushcraft.blogspot.co.uk

not in her eyes your not...your an amateur...who needs her expert advice
    never mind all that though,you never said what you thought of the axe,i value your opinion...atb kev