Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 Nights in the woods

2 Nights in the woods

Am off out with Friend. Starting on Friday morning, back Sunday. With that in mind my current kit list is as follows.

1) Karrimor SF45
    2) 3l camelpak - (were debating to fill this with local ale)
    3) Para boots
    4) Buffalo sleeping bag
    5) British army bivi
    6) Buffalo mountain shirt
    7) North face WP trousers (Looking at some new Keela ones)
    7) Fire steel
    8) Folding saw
    9) SBT (waited 2 years for this baby)
    10) Map, compass and waterproof map case
    11) Eating kit (tin cup, spork, can opener)
    12) German army mess tin
    13) Poncho or my patagonia rain away - very very light
    14) Cordage
    15) Food - Belly of pork, stagg chillie, coffee, sugar etc
    16) Toothbrush
    17) Medical kit (enough for cuts etc)

Plan is to do some miles in the mornings, get to somewhere fun, set up camp - brush wood shelters etc, prepare food. Get set off to pub with our kit, return to camp for some gentle fire and a nights sleep outdoors.

Not into the alaskan wild, but the bucks countryside. With a bit of luck will be on our own walking tails and finding the nearest remotest spot to the pub.

Will let you know how we do.

That sounds great, where are you off to?

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    Sounds like a perfect weekend in store GWA. Welcome to the NaturalBushcraft forum by the way.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Thanks Martin.

Will upload some pics when were back in from the field. Trip is scheduled for Weekend 5-9th March. With luck the weather will be clear and cold.

Will start off near Tring Herts, as for route... not sure as yet. Still studying the OS map. Guessing we will end up SW from there and into trees. As said were looking into getting in a few miles each day with rural watering holes on route. Minimum camp with zero impact. Just fresh air, good times and time out from the usual stresses.

15) Food - Belly of pork, stagg chillie, coffee, sugar etc
    no requirement for bog roll then

Hi and welcome to the forum GWA, and just exactly is a /an 'SBT' ?

Jim

Talland Bay.. An pleg-mor Kernewek hag a wra kovyow
    You going to fit all that lot in a 45L pack..? Them buffalo sacks are not small..
    Have a goodun.. :0)

Skookum bush tool. Placed order 30th April 2009 and its on its way as we speak in the post from Montana USA.

A treat I decided to invest in for my 30th. Trick is... patience. Hand made bush knife in A2 steel. Have personalised it with my initials on the metal plate.

http://www.skookumbushtool.com/

18) Bog roll

Quote Originally Posted by great white ape View Post
    Skookum bush tool. Placed order 30th April 2009 and its on its way as we speak in the post from Montana USA.
    Hi great white ape!
    Don't take offence at what I'll ask you. I'm not a native english speaker so I may be a little tactless without noticing it.
    The point is I hardly understand why you bought a knife with a two-year long waiting list.

Britain is stuffed with remarkable blacksmithing artists who would create a unique knife for you for say about £200 I guess. And they sure wouldn't take years to make it! (I'm putting aside Alan wood's Woodlore-Ray Mears Knife )

I assume you had good reasons for that though...

Anyway, as we're on the lightweight section of the forum, could you tell us how heavy will be your pack once all your gear stuffed in it?

Cheers
    Last edited by FrenchBen; 22-02-2011 at 11:45 PM.

Not a problem,

Got the knife because its made of A2 steel (and the wait was supposed to be 1 year) It is much much harder then your standard carbon steel alloy, but it is not any more brittle. The only draw back is that you dont get as much spark on a fire steel, but the knife will hold a sharper cutting edge for longer.

Fianl point is that not many people out there use A2 for thier knives. Fingers crossed after many years of work and abuse it will be something highly sought after by the male grandchildren which I hope to have.

Pack weight will be what it is and will let you know.

Only real weight is pack, sleeping bag and bivi, food and water. Doing without tarps or hammocks or stoves and fry pans etc. Hoping it does not rain or our shelter building skills better be up to scratch !

Will let you know when were back

Thanks for the additional info great white ape.

I'm looking forward to reading your report