Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't get a tight ridge line

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Alone in the Wilderness

Can't get a tight ridge line

I'm trying to use the cawley hitch to tighten my ridge line, but the tarp is weighing it down. I've tried tightening it as much as i can, but the tarp still sags. Any recommendations? Thanks!

I used to use the Farrimond but couldn't quite get the tension I wanted so I tend to use the haulier's hitch now and save the Farrimond for my guy lines.

M@
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

Natural Born Bushcrafter Valantine's Avatar
    I use this system now and find it very reliable
    http://theultimatehang.com/2012/11/v...s-with-a-tarp/

I use the a combo of the Evenk knot and tarp hitch for the ridgeline, tensioned with two prussiks (one on each end).
    Here's a link for the tarp hitch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sj41GwEaKeQ
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

I use the Event knot along with the adjustable Cawley Hitch, the same ones demonstrated by forum creator and member Ashley on the Natural Bushcraft YouTube channel. Using these along with a prussik at each end of the tarp to tension, you won't have any problems.

I used these on my tarp this last weekend and the ridge line was tight enough to strum like a guitar. Once the guy lines were in place the whole lot was very taught.

As a newcomer to tarps and knots I've practised the Event knot, Cawley Hitch and Prussik...I've just had a go at the Tarp Hitch and as far as I'm concerned they are do-able knots for me. I feel confident I can achieve them when I get out in the sticks....So, thanks Guys.

Alone in the Wilderness
    Great information, thanks everyone! I was practicing in my back yard all day and did pretty well. However, I don't know how to play the guitar yet, so I'll have to learn that on a different day. This was my first time ever learning knots and Ashley's videos were a great help. I'm going to get out there again tomorrow and try some of your suggestions. Thanks for all the advice and keep the suggestions coming! - Matt

A good place to practise is Under the Kitchen Table.....from Leg to Leg....

I like the Trucker/Truckie Hitch. You can get that really tight.

Quote Originally Posted by AJ View Post
    I like the Trucker/Truckie Hitch. You can get that really tight.
    +1 for this hitch, if you have enough length of cord, instead of tying the hitch off on the first pass around, re thread it back though the loop and pull tight again to re tension, and do this three times in total and the cord (para) locks on its self thus removing the need to tie it off, each pass around puts extra tension on the cord/ridge line so be careful not to over do it as it has been known to break the cord with this config, it also becomes a quick detachable line.
    Share your knowledge. It is a way to achieve immortality.