Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Chef's Sharpening Steel

I use a steel for maintaining my knives that have a secondary bevel, it produces a nice and toothy sharp edge that can be refined further on a strop if you wish, I only need a stone a couple times a year at most for those knives even if I am using them a lot.

I don't use a steel for my scandi knives though, as over time it would add a secondary bevel that would be very time consuming to take back off with the stones.
    For those I just use a stone and a strop.

Nothing like a bit of a debate to thrash things out, I have learnt quite a bit more about steels thanks guys, just one thing the steel in my camper van does resemble a file -so its time to search for a new one and ditch that one (it was cheap after all).

Cheers
    Tim
    "Travel a thousand miles by train and you are a brute;
    pedal five hundred on a bicycle and you remain basically a bourgeois;
    paddle a hundred in a canoe and you are already a child of nature."

Don't discount a course file.

I have one that resembles a rasp that is perfect for keeping up the edge on a machete.

Samuel Hearne
    I also trained as a traditional butcher just 5 years so have been using my normal steel at home and a mini steel which I have in one of my jacket pockets, I have also a steel that I cut down to about 8" that is in my bergan and I also use a small chainsaw file that I use on some of my machetes and a folding diamond sharpening stone.