Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Central Scotland anyone?

Central Scotland anyone?

Im based in Stirling and was wondering if there is anyone else nearby? Or if not, is there anyone who would be up for camping trips once in a while?

Jana

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello Jana,
    Interesting name BTW. I'll keep you in mind, just now only if time permits as got a whole load of other commitments just now sadly to say & I'd love more opportunity just to get out & about do a spot of overnight or longer. We've had a few great days which I can't complain about, been teaching Survival skills to hill walkers & a few youngsters. I've made the most of that time but sadly few & far between since. BTW what's your Labradors name? (I love dogs). Maybe share some of your experiences knowledge of TGO no matter how small on the forum. I'll look forward to reading more & hopefully there's a few more from the Central belt will pitch in too. Good luck!
    Regards
    David

David,
    thanks! The name is German, as am I. Have you ever been based there with the Army?

Yes, keep me in mind if there is anything going on! That would be great.

My dogs name is Darwin. Hes still only a pup but hes been great when out camping and hiking. I had to carry him in a baby sling around the hills for his first few months Hes too heavy for that now though!

Anyway, yes, I hope I will find some people to keep me company! Why did you stop teaching survival skills?

J

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    In reply, Yes I've been to Germany when I joined up 'Cold War' service early 1980's most units did a stint with BAOR Germany. 'Darwin' nice name & only a 'pup' I taught Survival skills with the Forces (trained by the best) I taught these skills in Civie street voluntary working with various age groups & organisations, other work & commitments I had to give up a lot of voluntary hours sadly to say. I still teach these skills on a voluntary basis not as often as I would like to & when health permits & a old war wound leg injury, I'll go on longer journeys & over night trips, varied climates has some serious effects on my health condition, I do go a little further 'but' not to put myself or others in any danger. Good luck with TGO & I'm sure there's a few more from the Central belt will pitch in too. Anything comes up you'll be invited no problem
    Regards
    David

Natural Born Bushcrafter Midge_Fodder's Avatar
    I will speak to a couple of guys up your way. My cousin lives in Alloa and like my brother and I is a wilderness addict. I'll see if there's anything I can sort out. It's a shame I hadn't read this earlier as 2 weeks ago I was camping up at Bridge of Allan.
    Border Bushcrafters

Isn't it nice when someone says "that's a great piece of kit, where did you buy that", then you can modestly reply "you can't buy it, I made it myself". The moral is, it's amazing what you can achieve if you put your mind to it.

"No better burden can a man carry on the road, than a store of common sense." - Hávamál: 10

http://midgefodderbushcraft.blogspot.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Midge_Fodder View Post
    I will speak to a couple of guys up your way. My cousin lives in Alloa and like my brother and I is a wilderness addict. I'll see if there's anything I can sort out. It's a shame I hadn't read this earlier as 2 weeks ago I was camping up at Bridge of Allan.

Briliant! That would be great

Where did you go camping in Bridge of Allan? Coxburn reservouir?

Quote Originally Posted by David_JAFO View Post
    hello,
    In reply, Yes I've been to Germany when I joined up 'Cold War' service early 1980's most units did a stint with BAOR Germany. 'Darwin' nice name & only a 'pup' I taught Survival skills with the Forces (trained by the best) I taught these skills in Civie street voluntary working with various age groups & organisations, other work & commitments I had to give up a lot of voluntary hours sadly to say. I still teach these skills on a voluntary basis not as often as I would like to & when health permits & a old war wound leg injury, I'll go on longer journeys & over night trips, varied climates has some serious effects on my health condition, I do go a little further 'but' not to put myself or others in any danger. Good luck with TGO & I'm sure there's a few more from the Central belt will pitch in too. Anything comes up you'll be invited no problem
    Regards
    David
    Nice! I wrote my dissertation about he BAOR. My Dad was one of your civilian workers. Would be nice to chat about at some point!
    Keep in touch and thanks David!

J

Quote Originally Posted by Jana View Post
    Briliant! That would be great

Where did you go camping in Bridge of Allan? Coxburn reservouir?
    Yep there was about 5 of us up there. Place jumping with ticks though. Looked down at my trousers and I could see the wee blighters running around.
    Border Bushcrafters

Isn't it nice when someone says "that's a great piece of kit, where did you buy that", then you can modestly reply "you can't buy it, I made it myself". The moral is, it's amazing what you can achieve if you put your mind to it.

"No better burden can a man carry on the road, than a store of common sense." - Hávamál: 10

Quote Originally Posted by Midge_Fodder View Post
    Yep there was about 5 of us up there. Place jumping with ticks though. Looked down at my trousers and I could see the wee blighters running around.
    Really? I walk the dog there about twice a week. Never picked up a tick though. So beautiful up there isnt it!!

It is beautiful. I think the ticks are hit and miss, some days you get swarmed others you never see them. Luck of the draw I suppose. I was tempted to venture deeper up into Perthshire at some point in the not so distant future.
    Border Bushcrafters