Thread: Sycamore for spoon carving?

Hobo

Question Sycamore for spoon carving?

Hi guys ive begun my journey recently into bushcraft. and im currently looking at carving some basic treen. starting with a spoon I can get a hold of an abundance of sycamore in my area. I was just wondering is this wood ok to use. especially cooking and eating

Many thanks

hi mate,sycamore is excelent to carve,it is readily available and is nice and soft so easy to work while green.
    when you start a spoon/bowl try to take out as much wood as possible ie out of the bowl of the spoon as quick as possible meaning the same day as the least wood means less chance to split as it dries.
    sycamore has a very high moisture content,i havent had much of a problem with it splitting but it does change shape a bit as it dries so dont be in to much of a hurry,let it dry in a cool airy place and trim of any sticky up bits when its finished moving.
    sorry if i've gone on a bit,just have a go and learn as you go..good luck..atb kev...ps dont forget get to introduce yourself to everyone in the relevant section
    Last edited by headshot; 04-07-2014 at 11:01 PM.

Hobo
    Quote Originally Posted by headshot View Post
    hi mate,sycamore is excelent to carve,it is readily available and is nice and soft so easy to work while green.
    when you start a spoon/bowl try to take out as much wood as possible ie out of the bowl of the spoon as quick as possible meaning the same day as the least wood means less chance to split as it dries.
    sycamore has a very high moisture content,i havent had much of a problem with it splitting but it does change shape a bit as it dries so dont be in to much of a hurry,let it dry in a cool airy place and trim of any sticky up bits when its finished moving.
    sorry if i've gone on a bit,just have a go and learn as you go..good luck..atb kev...ps dont forget get to introduce yourself to everyone in the relevant section
    thanks for the advice Kev and taking the time to reply. Much appreciated!

Russ

no probs russ,if you can get any pics on it will be good to see how you are getting on...atb kev