Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: StreeBank.com - Freecycle done right

NaturalBushcraft Founder Ashley Cawley's Avatar

Lightbulb StreeBank.com - Freecycle done right

Ever heard of Freecycle or Freegle? It's an online thing where people give and request things freely, from compost bins to TV's, sofas, dish washers, anything you can think of really!

As much as I liked the idea of what Freecycle & Freegle were trying to achieve, I always felt it was never implemented nicely, basically it was a mess and a pain in the back-side for novice users to use.

http://www.streetbank.com/ is the website I'd love to introduce you all to.. it's Freecycle but done right!

You can give and receive freely, whether it be physical posessions you no longer need like an old bike or bread-maker or you can even offer skills to share. And of course it's all there for you to receive things freely as well.

It's community building, waste-reducing, moneyless generosity at it's finest. Join the movement and spread the word.

If you do join, one thing I would recommend if you live in a rural area like me you might want to change your "neighbourhood size" from the default (which is one mile) to 10 miles.

Ashley Cawley

Youtube | Forum | Twitter | Flickr
    Leave No Trace

Oh and it's great for decluttering your house if you need to! - If you've got a load of stuff you've been meaning to get rid of for ages, can't be bothered to get rid of it all or don't want to see it go to landfill? Well offer it on StreetBank and someone who will use it will drop by and pick it up.
    Ashley Cawley

Leave No Trace

Their terms and conditions are easy to understand too:

" If you act badly, for example if you upload a picture of your bottom or anything, we are allowed turn off your account, and you're not allowed to get cross about it."

http://www.streetbank.com/t_and_c?locale=en
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley Cawley View Post
    Oh and it's great for decluttering your house if you need to! - If you've got a load of stuff you've been meaning to get rid of for ages, can't be bothered to get rid of it all or don't want to see it go to landfill? Well offer it on StreetBank and someone who will use it will drop by and pick it up.

Sorry Ash ... I thought that was what boot fairs were for !!! LOL !!!

I'll give it a look ... might save some pitch fees hey !!!

Had a look & have signed up ... only 14 neighbours in my 10 miles though ...

but mighty oaks / acorns and all that !!!

Thats the thing with living near the beach , I'm not exactly surrounded by

Chimney Pots hey !!!

Cheers Whistle
    Last edited by Whistle; 03-07-2014 at 09:27 PM. Reason: joined up !!!
    Life's a beach .... and then the tide comes in ....

lol.. I really can't be bothered to do a car-boot, I'm not obsessed with money and tbh the things I don't use I'm glad to just see the back of them and let someone else have it who will use it.
    Ashley Cawley

Leave No Trace

lol.. I really can't be bothered to do a car-boot, I'm not obsessed with money and tbh the things I don't use I'm glad to just see the back of them and let someone else have it who will use it.
    [

Completely understand that Ash ... just that Mrs Whistle enjoys the social interaction and the day out !!!

She knows sooooo many people its amazing !!!

Cheers Whistle
    Life's a beach .... and then the tide comes in ....

Cheers I'll give it a go, as I need a few things for the caravan I'm living in with Mrs AJ at the mo!

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    Signed up.
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Natural Born Bushcrafter Valantine's Avatar
    Excellent idea, I signed up.