Thread: Fabric durability comparison

Fabric durability comparison

Found this article, thought others might find it interesting.

http://woodtrekker.blogspot.co.uk/20...y-reality.html

A good read, thanks for sharing .
    I think Ross was referring to ripstop nylon...while I can understand the individual strands of nylon being stronger than canvas, nylon by itself will not last long with thorny bushes and briars around. Ripstop has a much better chance of not getting shredded.
    The main point is that the tighter/stronger the weave, the longer the fabric will last.
    Last edited by OakAshandThorn; 02-07-2014 at 06:42 PM. Reason: typo
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

An interesting article, but I think the writer missed the point.
    In it he says (and I'm sure quite correctly) that of two pieces of material, one cotton and one nylon, of the same thickness the nylon one is actually the stronger.
    Yeah, that may be.
    But in a garment the nylon is thinner than the cotton, not the same thickness.
    Also, he quite pedantically points out that Goretex is not a fabric but a membrane within the fabric. Again, ignoring the fact that when people refer to a 'Goretex jacket' they are using the word Goretex as a metonym, or just a convenient term of reference, and not actually suggesting that the item is made from goretex.
    So, an interesting article, and all true enough in a literal sense, but one that misses the point.
    'What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare' - William Henry Davies

Kestrels:
    https://foraknave.wordpress.com/

Thinking:
    https://thinkingthink.wordpress.com/

Yes indeed, a blog on the internet is still only one persons opinion after all and my main reason for reading some of them (especially some of the more extreme survivalist ones) is because they present interesting ideas, not all I agree with I hasten to add. I can see your point Humakt, that he missed the point, however people often do compare stuff in that way. (I read a great review of a custom tarp made from cordura recently, which peeked my interest in its contrast to canvas, but so much stuff comes across my screen that I often forget to note where it was, which happened in this case. It may well have been on a forum, even this one!) And thanks for the comment OAT.