Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Point on a knife..Important or not?

Natural Born Bushcrafter luresalive's Avatar

Point on a knife..Important or not?

How important is a point on a knife to you?
    I often see knives like the Falky F1 and think it's a decent knife except it doesn't have a good point.. I tend to use the tip of a knife a lot for holes, carving and delicate work so I value a knife with a decent pointed tip.. any other people think a point is important?

I bought the opinel safety knives for my kids as their first proper blade. What a stupid decision that was! The amount of things you can't do without a decent point really start to become obvious when you don't have one.

Quote Originally Posted by jus_young View Post
    I bought the opinel safety knives for my kids as their first proper blade. What a stupid decision that was! The amount of things you can't do without a decent point really start to become obvious when you don't have one.
    How do you teach the kids what they have to be carefull with, if you remove all the bits that may harm them?

Yeah, point is very usefull. Specially on a Bushcraft blade that needs to be a jack of all trades.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    How do you teach the kids what they have to be carefull with, if you remove all the bits that may harm them?

Yeah, point is very usefull. Specially on a Bushcraft blade that needs to be a jack of all trades.
    That is why they very quickly became a second knife and got replaced with fixed blades courtesy of Dave Budd and a few hours of work by myself.

Natural Born Bushcrafter Valantine's Avatar
    If it has no point it's not multipurpose

Quote Originally Posted by jus_young View Post
    That is why they very quickly became a second knife and got replaced with fixed blades courtesy of Dave Budd and a few hours of work by myself.
    I'll probably give the runt the Helle Scout. That was my first knife. It's sort of the traditional first knife here.

Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

A knife without a point is... pointless...

For a hunting knife!I prefer a Tanto blade,get the best of both worlds then.
    You are never too old to learn!. A SURVIVER!

"Peasants Rule,and your Knife is your Tool."
    "A Knifeless man is a Lifeless man".Nordic Proverb.

Support The GURKA WELFARE TRUST.1815 to 2015 200 years of Service to the Crown

No point on a knife...well that makes certain carving tasks out-of-the-question, especially anything to do with making a depression or gouging. So no kolrosing, etching, spoons, hearth-board drill socket, no birch or sycamore tapping, no splitting fresh willow for basket weaving,...and come to think of it, making sparks with a firesteel would be difficult unless the rest of the knife's spine was squared-off (or if you use the sharp bit of metal that comes with firesteels anyway ).
    That's all I can think of at the moment, but I bet there would be a lot more to add above.
    As Jus and JEEP stated, it would be real downside for a knife to be without a decent point.
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

Sometimes a point is a no no its all contextual. For example I wouldn't have a point on a knife fitted to a PFD...but for butchery of an animal a point is essential
    Last edited by Silverback; 03-07-2014 at 03:33 PM.
    [