Thread: Advice on transporting tools needed

Hobo

Question Advice on transporting tools needed

I'm hoping someone can advise/help me.

I carry tools (knives/axes/saws/billhooks etc...) in my car to and from jobs. Do I need a lockbox/security measure should I ever get stopped by the police?

Do I also have to provide evidence of my work/job?

The main reason for asking is that every summer I go to France and always take the above plus fire starting kits and a big fire bowl, as the wife and I do a lot of camping and I dont take a lot of wood. If I got stopped at customs would they confiscate all my gear or would I have to again show evidence of using the tools through work?

I haven't bothered before but as my kit list grows then I would hate to lose it.

Over to you guys and thanks in advance

Definitely recommend a lockable box. If you can provide evidence of your job ofcourse that will help, but an over zealous policeman will ask " Are you on your way to or from work.
    If you've got a car full of family and camping equipment, I don't think there would be an issue. You need knives for cooking and food prep. You need tools for vehicle maintenance, and setting up camp.
    I can't give advice on crossing borders, although people who go on 4x4 expeditions take a shed load of kit.
    Hope this helps
    He who says "he can" and he who says "he can't", are both usually right.

To be honest i wouldnt see it as a problem but would stick them all in a box just for safety in case there was an accident in the car

I would always recommend having "sharp's" in a locked container ie. an old ammo box is ideal, and bolted to the floor even better... And if you require them for your job, laminate a letter head, invoice etc and leave them in the box as well as proof, and above all have a respectful attitude towards officers, and be honest and open about what and why you need them.
    non est vivere sed valere vita est life is more than being alive..........ALWAYS GIVE MORE THAN YOU TAKE

Ask not for a lighter load, but a stronger back.....

I read this somewhere.

Officer. Do you have any weapons in the car?
    You. No, Officer, but I have a knife in my toolbox.

OK or not?

The bit about the knife not being easily accessible is a good one.
    Two or three years ago, there was some man "done" for having a knife in the glove box of his car. I cannot remember the full details now but it wasn't quite what first appeared. It turned out that the man had used the knife in a threatening manner but this was not reported initially.
    Only my dog can judge me

http://www.devilark.com.au/

I forget the correct terminology but if you have a good reason to have the "tools" there shouldn't be a problem.
    For instance I have a load of sharp knives in the cutlery drawer in my campervan, without them how would I prep food?

Cheers
    Tim
    "Travel a thousand miles by train and you are a brute;
    pedal five hundred on a bicycle and you remain basically a bourgeois;
    paddle a hundred in a canoe and you are already a child of nature."

This post could descend the wrong way super quick so am getting my peneth in.

If they're in a locked box, along with your 1st aid kit, then there shouldn't be any snags. You've taken more than reasonable precautions to secure you and others safety. A few pics if the things you have made and a couple of you using said tools, along with a business card or so will help you along.
    Again, show the bobbies respect and use Sir lavishly, they'll be cool with you.
    Hope all goes well and things stay safe for you.
    Winter is coming

^^ I like the idea of photos and such. I know it shouldn't be necessary but much of UK law depends on the word "reasonable" and the more you can do to show an uninformed person the context of your tools, the better, IMO.