Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DD lightweight Tarp anyone used one??

Quote Originally Posted by Humakt View Post
    It's not really a question of 'hiding'. In the UK we are allowed to pitch up a tarp as well!
    It's more to do with the fact that I don't want to look like a blot on someone else's landscape. I don't like it when I go out into the countryside and all I see are people in bright red, orange, and blue coats bobbing about (which is OK in remote areas where you may need S&R to find you, but not on the North Downs or anywhere else in the home counties, quite frankly), ruining my view. That's why I wear muted colours - so I don't ruin their view. And I don't want my tarp lighting up for the same reason. I prefer to blend in. Maybe it's just a psychological thing, but that's enough for me. And DD tarps are quite prone to light reflection.
    Well I have never seen my Coyote brown tarp do that. Perhaps because the undergrowth here is pretty dense as forests here are are not pruned like a park like they look in England. So you are pretty much well camoflaged in your camp jsut a few meters off the path or road. And under the canopy of the trees there ain't much sun that will hit the tarp those few days that it's not over cast. I was actually quite happy that it blend in so well, and really surprised at how well it blend in contrasted with snow. I.e dark trees and rock faces, white snow. It's so contrasty that the tarp almost looks like a shadow.

But again, form what I have seen on UK Bushcraft videos, your forests are pretty open compared to the "jungle" I am used to.
    And I always use a hammcok, so I am always under trees...
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    How heavy is it Neil i'm looking at lightweight kit at the moment??
    Welcome to the dark side, Scott. What took you so long!!

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

NaturalBushcraft Founder Ashley Cawley's Avatar
    I personally don't think the olive green one looks any different to other tarps in terms of light reflection (or not that I notice), I don't own one myself.

Looks like DD's new lightweight tarp is made of "strong ripstop nylon with PU 3,000mm coating" and has 19 attachment points! Plenty of pitching options there.

I can't recall what my Tatonka 3x3m Polycotton tarp weighs, but I do like it. Anything wrong with yours Scott or just looking for a second tarp?
    Ashley Cawley

Youtube | Forum | Twitter | Flickr
    Leave No Trace

NaturalBushcraft Founder Ashley Cawley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Don't listen to him Scott! - I've got a heavy-duty canvas tarp going if you want it?
    Ashley Cawley

Youtube | Forum | Twitter | Flickr
    Leave No Trace

Martin the older I get the less weight I want to carry lol. My tatonka tarp is brilliant im just looking into lighter kit for those trips to dartmoor now and then. What canvas tarp have you got ash?? That certainly does sound heavy

Scott

The 3 x 3 Cornelius tarp weighs 800g and the Sargasso Storm tarp which is 3.9m x 2.4m is 830g. They also do a 3.7 x 1.9 which is 650g. All these weights are tarp only.

Cheers Neil. The DD 3x2.9 lightweight tarp is 460g so i'll have a think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    Well I have never seen my Coyote brown tarp do that. Perhaps because the undergrowth here is pretty dense as forests here are are not pruned like a park like they look in England. So you are pretty much well camoflaged in your camp jsut a few meters off the path or road. And under the canopy of the trees there ain't much sun that will hit the tarp those few days that it's not over cast. I was actually quite happy that it blend in so well, and really surprised at how well it blend in contrasted with snow. I.e dark trees and rock faces, white snow. It's so contrasty that the tarp almost looks like a shadow.
    I've found the same to be true. I don't have an OD DD tarp for comparison, but the 3x3 coyote blends in very well. Had no problem with reflection whatsoever - if it does reflect light, passers-by don't notice. And tree leaves will reflect light, as will the tiny crystals in rocks around here, water (duh), etc...can't see it being an issue even if it does reflect a bit.
    The woods here can also be a bit thick (thanks to the cursed Asian Bittersweet), and I too stay under the trees...open meadows are regularly trodden.
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post

Martin
    He he

Theres no going back once you start!

I know but I feel old and need to carry less lol we shall see what I can afford