Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: DD lightweight Tarp anyone used one??

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    I think after that trip I took Martin's advice went home and had a look to see what I didn't use then took that into consideration for my next trip. As Ash said in a previous post I was carrying alot of water which really made the difference. Plus that ridiculous sleeping bag which I have since sold. I think I had a fair bit of weight in food as well as I have to have a very strange diet at times. That's one thing I'm working on at the moment.
    Whenever I've gone trough the excercise of taking out what I did not use on my last trip, those items are always what I need on my next trip....
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Martin it was just brandy lol

NaturalBushcraft Founder Ashley Cawley's Avatar
    Funnily enough it was the fluids on that which made me think about the Trave lTap for you Scott, as if I remember correctly you decided to leave 2 litres of water behind at the car on that trip as it would have been too heavy.

I'm actually sold on the idea of the Travel Tap, I've given it a good look over and it's amazing the number of things it can remove and deal with, I bought one a few days ago, should turn up in the next 24hrs. I think Martin's review of the Travel Tap a few years back was actually quite harsh on it, as I know he can be an impatient bugger it hasn't put me off getting one! I think if you probably used it for it's primary purpose of filtering water to mouth as oppose trying to fill a 2L+ vessel you'd probably be alright. I'm going to give it a go as it is capable of filtering more nasties out than my millbank-bag can and plus I don't have to boil it after and then wait for it to cool.

I'll let you know my thoughts on it when I've used it for a good while.
    Ashley Cawley

Youtube | Forum | Twitter | Flickr
    Leave No Trace

I have to admit I hadn't heard of it but i've been doing some research on it as well and it looks pretty impressive. I think I will be getting one soon. Interested to know what you think Ash.

Alone in the Wilderness
    Hi folks, I do own two DD tarps normal brown, and green superlight.
    I do recommend getting DD normal Sleeve with superlight tarp (60grams) plus you will need different pocket for it original is too small for convenient packing with sleeve and accessories. I would not recommend building "natural" shelters out of superlight trap even though material has ripstop. We managed to sleep in two hammocks in heavy rain under superlight, it wasn't disaster but tarp suits better for one person.
    Size and weight difference is huge, for hammock use I would only go for superlight, price is quite reasonable as well.

standard including XL sleeve, ridgeline

superlight DD tarp in hammock sleve + ridgeline , 4 corner lines, two 8g alu. pegs and tatonka stuffsack