Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sat nav advice.

Sat nav advice.

Thinking of getting a sat nav/tom tom for my pedal bike, never had one before so any advice would be great fully welcomed.

Would love one that shows detail and maybe maps of the area, do some of them show designated cycle Lanes/cycle routes.

Thanks guys.

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    Why not use your smart phone with Google maps or such like? It has map or satellite display and can give directions for cycling. It's what I'd use. I would imagine that the battery life would be greater too.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Not what you asked for but this is really useful when cycling: http://catenacycling.com/en/.

The Garmin range are good but come at a price (guess it depends if you need elevation data and heart rate monitoring too).

I know that Google Maps will tell you the cycle routes if you choose the little "bike option".

M@
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

Quote Originally Posted by Davepr View Post
    Thinking of getting a sat nav/tom tom for my pedal bike, never had one before so any advice would be great fully welcomed.

Would love one that shows detail and maybe maps of the area, do some of them show designated cycle Lanes/cycle routes.

Thanks guys.

As Martin mentioned use Google Maps/Navigator or even just install the TomTom app on your smartphone. Both can use offline maps and there are plenty of other GPS mapping softwares for Android/iOS etc.

If you have a smartphone there simply isn't any need for a dedicated GPS device, The smartphone can do same but much better and more.
    "Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!​​"

Unless you're planning on overland trips...
    A few folks use marine GPS for overland trips

Natural Born Bushcrafter Valantine's Avatar
    You can get some good cheap if not free apps for a smartphone.
    I use Back Country Navigator as my main nav' it uses OS maps too.

Um....when I use the GPS on my phone the battery conks out after about 30-45 minutes...I do use it in the car, but always plug it in.
    On a dedicated GPS it normally lasts for days...
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Natural Born Bushcrafter Valantine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    Um....when I use the GPS on my phone the battery conks out after about 30-45 minutes...I do use it in the car, but always plug it in.
    On a dedicated GPS it normally lasts for days...
    You probably need to adjust the gps power settings to stop it running in the background

If you have a smartphone you can get a number of apps that are very good.
    I have ViewRanger on my phone as a secondary navigation device and it has good battery life. There is a website for sharing routes and tracks, etc.

They have some kind of bicycle promo on for the summer.

Check http://www.viewranger.com/images/new...cling2014.html for info.

Quote Originally Posted by Valantine View Post
    You probably need to adjust the gps power settings to stop it running in the background
    This happens when I use the GPS...i.e have it running in the foreground...thats sort of the purpose of it. In all other situations I turn it completely off...
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum