Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Helle Temagami

Helle Temagami

I Just saw this, Les Stroud (aka Survivorman) has teamed up with Helle to make a knife. The knife is full tang with a curly birch handle, and will use Helle's great stainless steel; I'm excited for it. What do you guys think?
    http://www.helle.no/Default.aspx?tab...language=nb-NO
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxAYFs-vxyk
    Last edited by Notredame11211; 17-02-2011 at 03:32 AM.
    Best Wishes,
    James

"Do not look to the ground for you next step; Greatness lies with those who look to the horizon."

Looks like a really nice knife - it looks a lot like the Ray Mears Woodlore, though at a less ridiculous price point.

$200 (about £ 125) is still a lot for a Helle knife though. The classic Helle Fjellkniven will give you more or less the same blade, with a classic Scandinavian stick tang, for around £ 60-70.

Personally it hurts my Scandinavien pride a little each time a classic Scandinavian knife maker succumbs into making full tang knives.

looks like a nice knife and as stated a better price than the woodlore.
    www.jacksshed.co.uk A country living forum to compliment your bushcraft way of life.

Tribal Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by JEEP View Post
    Looks like a really nice knife - it looks a lot like the Ray Mears Woodlore, though at a less ridiculous price point.

$200 (about £ 125) is still a lot for a Helle knife though. The classic Helle Fjellkniven will give you more or less the same blade, with a classic Scandinavian stick tang, for around £ 60-70.

Personally it hurts my Scandinavien pride a little each time a classic Scandinavian knife maker succumbs into making full tang knives.
    whats wrong with a full tang knife?

Quote Originally Posted by comanighttrain View Post
    The stick tang evolved in many ways, but if you think you are working in sub zero temperatures and sometimes without gloves as with heavy mitts you may not have the dexterity you require. The metal is also at sub zero temperatures and where it is exposed around the scales at spine and belly it gives the metal a chance to stick to your hand.

an alternative would be something along the line of a morticed tang that maintains the majority of the blades size all the way through the handle, but is only exposed at the butt of the knife in a similar fashion to the bog standard Fallkniven F1.

The knife is a nice enough looking knife, but I don't really like the look of it. On the belly of the handle the tang is not exposed, but on the spine it is. I prefer one or the other and a full morticed or coffin tang would have been more to my liking. If not that then you may as well go for a Helle Harding and stay with the stick tang.

Tribal Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by leon-1 View Post
    The stick tang evolved in many ways, but if you think you are working in sub zero temperatures and sometimes without gloves as with heavy mitts you may not have the dexterity you require. The metal is also at sub zero temperatures and where it is exposed around the scales at spine and belly it gives the metal a chance to stick to your hand.

an alternative would be something along the line of a morticed tang that maintains the majority of the blades size all the way through the handle, but is only exposed at the butt of the knife in a similar fashion to the bog standard Fallkniven F1.
    Ahh I see, Thanks, I think my Puukko are like that, the only exposed metal at the bottom of the handle is bronze looking stud on the bottom
    Last edited by comanighttrain; 17-02-2011 at 02:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by comanighttrain View Post
    Nothing at all. I just prefer traditional makers of traditional products to stick to tradition

Quote Originally Posted by JEEP View Post
    Nothing at all. I just prefer traditional makers of traditional products to stick to tradition
    I agree
    Best Wishes,
    James

"Do not look to the ground for you next step; Greatness lies with those who look to the horizon."

Best Wishes,
    James