Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Knife Laws. Could this effect you?

New Knife Laws. Could this effect you?

WTF

aman
    aman

There is still a trial process involved where sense could prevail. I seriously doubt it will but we will soon see.

I don't like the hysteria surrounding knives but I doubt if this will change what I do. I keep within the law, and I've never been stopped and searched by the police on my life. So I'll just carry on being a model citizen.

just take a look at the source of the 'news'. I wouldn't even take the daily fail's stories with a bucket of salt!

The suggestion of enforced imprisonment as they have laid it out has been rumbling around for over a year and nothing has come of it. Its the usual scaremongery. Just abide by the laws that we have and you won't have any troubles
    Dave Budd Handmade Tools knives, tools, wood, leather and courses making stuff! 2015 Course List NOW ONLINE!

Aman; don't believe the hype mate. A, Daves right on the source and B, how many carpet fitters, carpenters, etc carry blade(s) daily for work

Thanks guys.

What is recurrent law on carrying a blade?

And I am definitely going to go on one of Dave's sharpening courses later in the year.

aman
    aman

Quote Originally Posted by aman View Post
    WTF

aman
    As I'm not a "Knife Thug"..and have carried a knife for at least 65years,at least without a problem!I shall continue to do so!
    You are never too old to learn!. A SURVIVER!

"Peasants Rule,and your Knife is your Tool."
    "A Knifeless man is a Lifeless man".Nordic Proverb.

Support The GURKA WELFARE TRUST.1815 to 2015 200 years of Service to the Crown

Quote Originally Posted by aman View Post
    Thanks guys.

What is recurrent law on carrying a blade?

And I am definitely going to go on one of Dave's sharpening courses later in the year.

aman

This new measure that the article refers to does not change any current law per-say as far as I can see.

Whether you get charged/prosecuted just depends on the context you're carrying in. It has to be folding and under 3" to be a EDC legal knife however you can carry larger if it's in context like for work or you need it for something specific like a knife making/sharpening course, fishing or bushcraft event etc etc etc. The laws are there to stop people randomly carrying for no reason other than to use as a potential weapon.

Somebody with more experience of the law should be able to clarify better though.
    Last edited by ADz; 18-06-2014 at 09:09 AM.
    "Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!​​"

You need a "reason" to carry a knife except the aforesaid 3" non locking folder. Remember that lock knives are considered to be fixed blades, so don't wander around town with one on you. This also technically includes multitools like the Leatherman, which have locking blades. So either slipjoint (like a Swiss army) or friction folder (like small Opinels) are OK.

"Internet chit chat" (always accurate of course ) says that the "cutting edge" must be 3" or under, but that typically people ( i.e. Police) will measure the blade from tip to handle, so its best to stick to that (never argue actual law with Police people, I find it always irritates them).

Knives for work are allowed to be carried if you are going to, at, or coming from work (chefs, gardeners, sparkys, etc)

Government website....
    https://www.gov.uk/find-out-if-i-can...-carry-a-knife

As in most of UK law, for other knives the word "reasonable" comes into play. The reason must be reasonable as well!

Anecdotal evidence (not to be relied on)
    My friendly Policeman told me if he saw me in a field with a shotgun and a machete slung across my back he wouldn't blink, but if he found me on a pub on a Saturday night with a boxcutter he'd 'do me'.

Edit. Sorry.. Also don't carry any knife ( except the sub 3" non locking one) inside a car, don't put them on the dashboard, door pocket, under the seat, (erring on the side of caution?.. Not in the glovebox either) where Cops can say claim that it was "to hand". In short, stick it in a bag, in a box, in the boot (trunk if you're on the other side of the pond).

P.S. sorry, ADz, just reread and found I'd duplicated some of your stuff, but too lazy to change it. lol
    Last edited by AJ; 18-06-2014 at 10:01 AM.

Its a shame that the policy makers didn't take a lesson from history and realise that the guy carrying the £500 Woodlore is hugely less likely to be using it for crime than the young lad with a stanley craft knife with a carpet blade...which of course was the weapon of choice of the hooligan in the 80's....in the TV report I watched on lad had a pizza knife ! Most knife crime is carried out by pound shop specials and ones taken from a kitchen.

I see no reason to panic, as long as you are sensible and can justify your use then you'll be ok....take it to the pub and expect to be jailed....
    [