Thread: Rolson Magnifying Glass

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."

Rolson Magnifying Glass

hello,
    Usually I've found when you are at the checkout in Maplin electrical stores www.maplin.co.uk/store-finder the till staff always ask, "Do you require any of these Rolson tools for £1.00 etc.." neatly packed on the counter display, this time the mini fold away pocket magnifier caught my eye £1.00 (r.r.p £4.99) so I picked up one £1.00 bargain. Quite a small robust metal casing & the magnifier is pretty good too. I'm going to replace the key chain as the link is solid enough just not the end fixing as it could easily come away without any effort affixed to your kit. I'll replace this with either a dog tag chain or paracord lanyard & either replace the lens in my grab bag with such or add it to the end of my SAK/pocket knife.
    So.. with the past few days of Scottish weather which has been great sunshine between +19 - 24C. I've been out teaching some survival skills in my spare time up in the forest. As it's been brilliant sunshine I thought I'd use my magnifying glasses SAK 'Explorer' & this Rolson tool as 1 means of fire lighting. Tried various tinder's from a small piece of Amadou this caught instantly, as well as some fuzz shavings I had from a piece of hemp rope, same went for Chaga tinder & a mini fuzz shaved dry fire stick I was carrying a bundle as tinder. One or two of the group tried various other methods of fire lighting flint & steel as well as bow fire drill etc.. The Rolson magnifier fits into my survival tin too, so it's one of these items *weather pending that can be added/removed or carried as an accessory within your kit or on your knife.
    I'll give it a thumbs up for a Rolson tool. There are other Rolson magnifiers in stock but IMO this is the one I'd go for due to it's size & quality. I Photographed it next to a £1.00 coin to gauge the size.
    Regards
    David

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	12271

Nice find!

Doh! I was in Maplins yesterday and didn't get asked for once. Would be a nice addition to the fire kit.

Very neat and compact, excellent addition and thanks for the share
    Winter is coming

Nice one chap
    Richard
    South Wales UK

Like it! And as they say, a magnifier doesn't use any resources!

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    Yes it's typical usually trying to palm you off with something at the counter. I'm always keeping an eye on the Rolson range of tools, as I'm still using the 2pc Mini Multi Tool to effect & I have a couple of their small LED rubber torches that have gone through some abuse (both accidental & intentionally) in TGO & still working. *I've noted Police (Scotland) using these small torches too as part of their kit. It might be worth having a browse through the Rolson tools see what's adaptable for a survival situation.
    The mini magnifier certainly going in my grab bag & not Room 101
    Regards
    David

Quote Originally Posted by jus_young View Post
    Doh! I was in Maplins yesterday and didn't get asked for once. Would be a nice addition to the fire kit.

Samuel Hearne
    I used to carry the old issued burning glass till I was given a small magnifying glass that was just as good and a lot smaller an lighter, I have also got a frenzel lens that stays in my wallet.