Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beginner advice re: tent / tarp / hammock.

Quote Originally Posted by aman View Post
    Rik is that you dude. Long time no see

aman
    Tiz me indeed, how's it going your end?
    Richard
    South Wales UK

To the advice jus-young gave.
    I'd also like to point out that it is possible to configure your tarp set-up for snowy winter conditions - they are not just limited to 2 or 3 seasons.
    As far as the material for the tarp to be made of, canvas is traditional but heavier than others, and I wouldn't recommend starting out with the el-cheapo poly tarps in hardware stores, since they never seem to last long and are also fairly heavy. Nylon is what most prefer because it is lighter and a decent tarps can be found for less than 30£.
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

Quote Originally Posted by OakAshandThorn View Post
    I'd also like to point out that it is possible to configure your tarp set-up for snowy winter conditions - they are not just limited to 2 or 3 seasons.
    As far as the material for the tarp to be made of, canvas is traditional but heavier than others, and I wouldn't recommend starting out with the el-cheapo poly tarps in hardware stores, since they never seem to last long and are also fairly heavy. Nylon is what most prefer because it is lighter and a decent tarps can be found for less than 30£.
    Couldn't agree more, and I have yet to enjoy the pleasures of tree dwelling in the snow. I have used the hammock in negative temps and stayed very comfortable as well as using the tent and having a few uncomfortable nights due to being at ground level where the air is coldest. It is all down to how you use the kit really.

Quote Originally Posted by OakAshandThorn View Post

Absolutely :-)

This is a DD XL 4,5x3 m tarp covering my TW Bivi Hornet hammock :-)

Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Thanks a lot guys, really informative & helpful!

Tribal Elder
    tarp everytime pal the glorious youtube can provide all videos of setups
    'Experience is the most efficient teacher of all things,'

Natural Born Bushcrafter Valantine's Avatar
    Def' a tarp. Also try a search on pinterest, lots of useful info on there too