Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beginner advice re: tent / tarp / hammock.

Beginner advice re: tent / tarp / hammock.

Hi,

I'm completely new to bushcraft but I'm keen to get started!

I've read about some people staying in tents or tarps or hammocks, what's the best way to go? I've googled for info on this, but surprisingly couldn't find many discussions on the topic.

Initially it would be for myself and occasionally I'd like to take someone with me. Obviously you can't get two people in a hammock, can you get two under a tarp?

I'm guessing that the more you get into it the more likely you are to get all three of these systems. I suppose I'm just looking for a beginners setup!

Thanks in advance,
    Rich

If I was to only buy one of them it would be a tarp. You will need a tarp if you use a hammock especially if it is raining. You can also use a tarp with a tent so for shear versatility it would have to be a tarp

It is also the cheapest

aman
    aman

Just my view but use a tent for your first few camps, then buy a cheap tarp a 3m X 3m will be fine and take that along and practise setting it up. Leave the hammock until you gain more experience. Try and get along to camps with other members near you, where in the UK are you
    Richard
    South Wales UK

Quote Originally Posted by rik_uk3 View Post
    Just my view but use a tent for your first few camps, then buy a cheap tarp a 3m X 3m will be fine and take that along and practise setting it up. Leave the hammock until you gain more experience. Try and get along to camps with other members near you, where in the UK are you
    Rik is that you dude. Long time no see

aman
    aman

Thanks for the replies guys.

Yes, I'm in the West Midlands. I've posted a message on introductions to see if anyone meets up in this area.

Is a tarp predominantly for warmer / good weather? You seem quite exposed to both wind (from 3 directions) or rain?

Thanks

The hammock can be a big step if you have not been out and about for long. The tent is an easy option whereby you can take as much gear as you want, keep yourself and your gear dry and relatively warm and the ease of setting up speaks for itself. The hammock is best left until you get chance to see it in action for yourself. Jump in on one of the organised meets when they come up, folks make everyone welcome, and have a look at the setups that other folks use. Hammock camping is a world in its own with different setups, gear options, styles of camping and the expense that could be involved.

And as for the weather - have a look at this guy! He is quite something else but his videos on hammock hanging are very informative and he has a whole section for those new to the art

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC27nqmEhKzD9YHK1IFwG7qA

As mentioned I would start off with a tent to at least get you out there. Then once you have gained some experience, been on some meets, done some reading and decided which route you want to take you can make a choice on what to try next. People will be happy to show you their setups and explain what they like about them/why they chose them etc.

There is no "best" setup its subjective and down to your own personal preferences so once you have had a good look and think you can try one
    "Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!​​"

Thanks for the replies! Really useful. I'm going to start researching tents, I'm definitely going to go that way first.

Just out of interest, as regards to a tarp, are they predominantly for warmer / good weather? You seem quite exposed to both wind (from 3 directions) or rain?

Thanks!

Depends on the tarp and the setup you choose.
    "Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!​​"

There are many ways of setting up the tarp and therefore deal with any type of weather you may face. They really are a very versatile bit of kit that can be arranged much like a tent at ground level for keeping out the wind and rain or setting open and high for shade in the hottest of weathers. The only limitation is your imagination. There is a good article on the main website showing different examples of how they can be pitched.