Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Chatterbox and the Wood Gas Stove

Yep, if a fire is allowed I'd always go with that if possible, but at the end of the day its what you like, everyone's choice is a different mix of practicality and asthetic.

Quote Originally Posted by AJ View Post
    Yep, if a fire is allowed I'd always go with that if possible, but at the end of the day its what you like, everyone's choice is a different mix of practicality and asthetic.
    When fires are banned here, all use of open fires are banned. So use of a stove like that is just as banned as making camp fire. They still make sparks.
    Actually we have a general bann of open fires from april to september in woodlands. But it is really only enforced when conditions are dry. So you will get away with a small cooking fire next to to a lake or on the beach. Unless you cause a wildfire...then prepare to have the book slam you into the ground.

My only reason to carry such a stove is purely that I won't have to remember to bring fuel. I do not know how many times I have gone out with a meths burner, pot stand and wind shield, only to find out when I pack out that my meths still sits in the shed...the same thing will happen to pellets.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Trapper
    Gas, Meths or wood each have their fans and I have used them all, I personally find the risk with carrying a 1L of meths or a gas canister whilst out for a few nights far out weighs the small back up bag of cat litter I carry. And yes open fires are always a good choice but if camping in a small wood and you don't want to attract too much attention to your self then the WG stove wins hand down with me. I Know this could go on for ever with what's best etc so lets just say each to their own and in my case the WG stove is my stove of choice.

Bet theres never a dull moment,when Little Rune about?.Lovely little lad,better to have him "Talkative" than withdrawn n shy...
    You are never too old to learn!. A SURVIVER!

"Peasants Rule,and your Knife is your Tool."
    "A Knifeless man is a Lifeless man".Nordic Proverb.

Support The GURKA WELFARE TRUST.1815 to 2015 200 years of Service to the Crown

Quote Originally Posted by midas View Post
    Bet theres never a dull moment,when Little Rune about?.Lovely little lad,better to have him "Talkative" than withdrawn n shy...
    He drives me crazy with his non-stop questions, lol. At the same time I can't stop laughing and wonder how in the world someone can be that inquisitive :-)
    But I hope that never stops :-)

Sadly he is a sick little puppy right now. had to fetch him at day care yesterday as he was puking. And today he has a fever and stummack cramps. But he normally shakes these things off in aday or two. most likely he will be at it at full force tomorrow :-)
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Nice video. It's good that he is enthusiastic and wants to help you break the sticks and light the fire. Looks a nice place.

Sorry to hear little runes got a tummy bug,hope he gets better soon!
    Had to laugh !!when he kept saying "Mummy wouldn't like it",if we go too far..lol.etc.
    You are never too old to learn!. A SURVIVER!

"Peasants Rule,and your Knife is your Tool."
    "A Knifeless man is a Lifeless man".Nordic Proverb.

Support The GURKA WELFARE TRUST.1815 to 2015 200 years of Service to the Crown

Great video, your teaching him well, but you forgot the first lesson. Relating to "Mummy says not to go to far".

When at home mummy is definitely boss, but out in the woods daddy is bos......, well ok, mummy doesn't need to know.

From an ultra-lighters perspective I think these stoves are excellent. Even that I don’t personally use one, I think of fuel as a valuable resource. It costs money, it pays the establishment to produce and most importantly it weighs and takes up space.

I don’t consider it as any use at all for either cooking or heating. For me, it’s just for boiling water. Which for some, me included at times, is enough to prepare a meal. That way it can even be regulated. It’s not too hard to work out in advance how much you need to estimate, still weather depending, how much will last how long.

I always carry a small gas can/stove. But I only use it for quick stops and build a fire for anything else.

I’ve been thinking a lot lately about a hobo stove design for use in fire restricted areas, one of my favourite haunts is a nature reserve and open fires are a strict no go. I’ve had nature related business relations with the local authorities in the past, so I’ll run it past them first.

The idea is to cut a fire guard. In it’s simplest form it’s just a disk to sit above the fuel, but more likely to also include a basket formed to sit inside the can. It’s only £3 for an A5 size sheet.

Maybe it would make things ok in Norway?

http://www.themeshcompany.com/produc...-Mesh-141.html
    Last edited by Magicdave; 08-02-2015 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Typo/grammer