Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Place to camp in Scotland??

Hobo

Question Place to camp in Scotland??

Hi guys/girls,

I'd like to find a place to go camping in the wild in Scotland. I was wondering where were the best places to do that? I was thinking big forests and hills so we can get some views and easy shelter and firewood.

I'd like to be able to walk to a remote location and minimise the rise of encounters with people and modern life in general.

I am looking to spend about 3 days maybe more although 3 days worth of food is what I think I could carry easily with my girlfriend. A close water source would be a plus of course.

I look forward to your advice

thx!

Hi bud, best thing to do is get out there and find your own areas/locations. Have a browse on googlemaps etc plan your trip. You will find people don't like giving out there places due to them getting over used or even miss used. Scotland is fine with wild camping as long as you stick to the guides ie ground fires.

Try not to go on your own if it's a first time buddy just incase. Good luck and be safe.

Dave.

Hobo
    Thanks Dave.

Isle of Skye. Never been, got close, but it might be just what you are after. Be safe, have a good one.
    Ammo.
    He who says "he can" and he who says "he can't", are both usually right.

Hobo
    thanks

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    I'd suggest start at Cumbria scenic lots of great places to walk, camp, & visit. I doubt you'll not like, then pending time or next outing try travelling further North. Loch Lomond & the Trossachs is a great place to start. Remember follow the Country Code at all times, take only photo's & memories leave no trace, by all means do leave footprints, but keep them where they'll do the least harm.. http://www.visitscotland.com
    Regards
    David

Hobo
    Yes of course, I wouldn't act otherwise. I have experience travelling in nature and am the kind of person to make his bag heavier by picking up all the rubbish I see others have thrown down, so rest assured

I do appreciate your advice very much, it is a helpful starting point in my research.

Loch Lomond is fantastic, but you do get alot of visitors. You'll have to go further North, for the peace, tranquillity, and isolation you desire.
    He who says "he can" and he who says "he can't", are both usually right.

A not totally unrelated question folks, when do the midges die down in Scotland? Mrs Ehecatl fancies a trip and although we'd take Avon Skin so soft (or whatever it is these days) we'd prefer not to be eaten too much.

Thanks,

M@
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

Hobo
    Last edited by bluerabbit; 08-06-2014 at 07:08 PM.