Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hand line setups

Hand line setups

so as some of you know i live on the coast but does anyone else keep small a crab net, crab line and small handline in there bush bag?
    There is pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore, There is society, where none intrudes,
    By the deep sea, and music in its roar, I love not man the less, but Nature more.

dunno about on the coast but they are handy to have about ones person whilst out walking the reservoir's

Samuel Hearne
    In my kit I carry a issued fishing kit plus a basic hand line that I made that I can use as a long line which is about 50mtrs long also when I go fishing with the Mrs we take a small crab net, I have set many a night line in rivers an streams when on exercises and when we go sea fishing I use my hand lines or set out a long line. by the way it is illegal to set night lines on any fresh water in the UK.

Also should not use hand lines for fishing. All lines should be from a rod.

Trapper
    not crab nets, but crayfish nets, and its ok to set them overnight

Often use my hand line from my kayak to feed the fish on a days paddle (sea kayaking). Not caught ought with it yet.
    I bought a couple of crayfish nets from ronnie s/shines then found out that type are illegal to use as they can trap mammals like water voles, so they are going to be used for crab and such, set out pre paddle and collected on return.
    I do have a couple of tins of fishing kit that go in one pack or other, enough to make a nightline or hobo reel kit just in case, never used them though.

Rob.

From land I prefer using a fishing rod. In my boat I could use a handline, I guess, but I have a SIB so I prefer a rod there too, to get some distance between the sharp hooks and my rubber hull when I reel in, he he
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

How do you guys rig your hobos? I have tried a few times but have had more trouble casting than anything. Never really done any fishing other than with feathers off a cheap boating rid when we was at anchor back in the RN
    Winter is coming

Samuel Hearne
    One of my hand lines is on a plastic hand reel that I got when in Greece and another one which is only a plastic 0.5 lucosade bottle with the line wrapped around the bottle and the loose bits of tackle and rigs are kept inside the bottle I have mackerel feathers, hooks tied to nylon, barrel weights, swivels ect stored in a resealable plastic bags that help with getting the bits and pieces out of the bottle and cutting down on noise, as for casting I practised with throwing the line out with just the weight attached till I could do it without tangles, have a look on you tube for hand line fishing, Ray Mears has a video where he casts a hand line, hope this helps.

No I've got all that sorted, it's the actual rig set up that I'm after
    Winter is coming