Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spoonage

Use what now? Never heard of it, google here I come
    Winter is coming

Natural Born Bushcrafter Midge_Fodder's Avatar
    It's a surgical scalpel, that's what Gary uses for his usually.
    Border Bushcrafters

Isn't it nice when someone says "that's a great piece of kit, where did you buy that", then you can modestly reply "you can't buy it, I made it myself". The moral is, it's amazing what you can achieve if you put your mind to it.

"No better burden can a man carry on the road, than a store of common sense." - Hávamál: 10

http://midgefodderbushcraft.blogspot.co.uk

Just spotted it. No, just my every day knife. Really trying to find the combination of tools where by I'm using the least amount I can to enable me to do all my crafting.
    My axe, my mocotaugan, the belt everyday blade, a whittler size fixed belt blade and my opinel.
    Getting there I hope, aesthetics is proving to be the challenge for me because I want then all to match and be Operational Not Decorational.
    Winter is coming

It's a tough call getting exactly what you want. I'm a lover of the turn of the century woodsman stuff and finding it is easier said than done.
    Border Bushcrafters

Isn't it nice when someone says "that's a great piece of kit, where did you buy that", then you can modestly reply "you can't buy it, I made it myself". The moral is, it's amazing what you can achieve if you put your mind to it.

"No better burden can a man carry on the road, than a store of common sense." - Hávamál: 10

Very much so. As you know I'm more interested in Wilderness than Bushcraft. Yes they are essentially the same, for me the definition between the two is the modern equipment boundaries.
    Winter is coming

I seen a really good video by Paul Kirtley on the topic. He said what I was thinking for so long. I will give you the link be warned though you will need a spare hour lol. http://paulkirtley.co.uk/2014/integr...-presentation/
    Border Bushcrafters

Cheers mate. Will be on that shortly. Time to get driving again.
    Winter is coming

So thats skrimshawing on wood rather than on bone/ivory.Like the cinnamon,rather than Lamp Black/Soot.
    Nice touch!!
    You are never too old to learn!. A SURVIVER!

"Peasants Rule,and your Knife is your Tool."
    "A Knifeless man is a Lifeless man".Nordic Proverb.

Support The GURKA WELFARE TRUST.1815 to 2015 200 years of Service to the Crown

Yep, it's called Kolrosing. You incise rather than stipple like with scrimshaw. The traditional way was to rub in ground birch bark, but as cinnamon is ground bark it's basically the modern equivalent. You normally seal it in with wax, but as you use it the greases and dirt from your hands pigment the lines and keep it nice and dark.
    Border Bushcrafters

it's my fav finish on wood, as native Indian beading is my fav finish with leather items.
    Winter is coming